Author Topic: PA Magazine  (Read 9694 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: PA Magazine
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2016, 09:42:40 am »
Reminds me of the song from 10 years after. " l'd love to change the World, but I don't know what to do, so I'll leave it up to You
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2016, 10:52:23 am »
Ten Years After, one of my favorites from way back then.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2016, 12:38:38 pm »
I ordered a steak and got a hot dog this month.  I didn't pay for a hotdog or order a hotdog.

Kinda feels like getting hit with a bait and switch. 

I agree, this is Mr. Moore's magazine.  But there is also the other side of a free market economy, the consumer.  My consumption of this product is predicated on a magazine dedicated to "passing on the traditions of classical archery" as it says on the cover.  If the magazine replaces the primitive archery content with other content, then my interest, too, becomes diluted.  Some have said, "don't read that part".  At what point do you stop buying a bag of chips when the air in the bag exceeds the product advertised on the packaging?

And where does the adulteration of content end in this drift away from the subject?  Leather tooling?  Dog training? Cabinetry?  Boat building?  Welding?  Geocaching?  Astronomy? Astrology? Remote control airplanes? Fencing and swordplay?  Medievel re-enacting?  Cosplay?  Comic book collecting? Antique cars? Drag racing?  Truck driving rodeos?  If you think I pulled the examples from my imagination, I beg to differ.  Every one of those subjects are things I have spoken about with members of this forum while outside of this forum and are genuine interests.  But are they are NOT the unifying subject that has brought each and every one of us into this forum, or more importantly, to purchasing a subscription to the magazine.

My subscription is running out.  And honestly, I am hanging fire on the renewal.  I am not sure I am interested in the new direction at all. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2016, 02:24:08 pm »
Well spoken JW

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2016, 01:07:55 am »
Alright, JW, and a few other, "well spoken" people, As said, maybe some material is being repeated and the same ol, same ol, is par for the course.

So, how come all of the passionate people on here are not writing articles that will make this the kind of magazine you want to read. Everytime this comes up, ads for modern gear and whatever, to help offset the cost for  everybody on this site that will not buy a subscription, it seems like none of the whiners will take the time to write a short article. If this magazine and passion of building bows really means as much to you as pissing and moaning then get off your ass and contribute.

Like said, a few of the same old people can keep recycling the same old crap for so long till it goes down the crapper or has to change when you guys don't care anymore or get lazy. We are the ones that build wooden bows. So write about it.

They will even pay you for it and then there is no excuse,  "like I would have bought a subscription but I needed a twelve pack".
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2016, 08:04:42 am »
You couldn't be farther off this time Eddie.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2016, 09:31:44 am »
Did Mr. Moore buy PA?.. I keep reading folks post saying he owns the mag but last i knew Mr. Luther was the owner  8).... Jdub makes a valid point i think.. Eddie you might just have hit on the root cause of the mags expansion into other interest as well. We should all be flooding PA with articles and how-to's etc.... We are the bow builders and the hunters... We are the experts in this particular field and as such have a responsibility to posterity to spread the knowledge 👍

But, at the end of the day..we all got our feathers ruffled by a political rant that shouldn't have been in PA..... Im pretty sure im not gonna put any more thought or time on this subject... If PA takes a path i cant appreciate i just wont renew.. Cash is king after all 😃 ... Time will tell.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline JEB

« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2016, 09:57:01 am »
I agree Pearl.  I don't think venting a bit hurts although if I don't like what I see in a mag I don't read it.  Writing about it on here may wake some folks up on both ends of the spectrum the owner and subscribers.

Maybe P.A. could do like  Backwoodsman does and that is ask the readers what they would like covered in the magazine. They then post what will be printed in future magazines and ask those that are familiar with the list of subjects to write an article or submit photos etc. 

I have just about every PA magazine printed as it is one of the finer magazines around the covers my interests in the sport of archery shooting, hunting and flintknapping.

Bashing folks that you don't agree with does no good.

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2016, 10:25:30 pm »
Wow just got time to read some of the PA mag and Mikes article I thought I had a us news mag. Then I got to the hunt with a black widow and I had to turn back to the cover and make sure I didn't grab a traditional bowhunters mag. Not what I expected to see in a PA mag at all.