Author Topic: Turkish flight bow 43.5 inches  (Read 18408 times)

mikekeswick

Turkish flight bow 43.5 inches
« on: August 28, 2016, 02:26:41 am »
I'm just tillering a new Turkish flight bow. It is going to be around 70 -75#, has plenty of reflex and a weight of 320 grams :) Non matching belly/horn grooves, 5 piece rowan core with hornbeam handle and ash tips. Buffalo and deer leg sinew.
It has mega early string tension and draw weight......hopefully it will make it to full draw!
Pictures to follow.

Offline loon

Re: Turkish flight bow 43.5 inches
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 02:41:23 am »
woah

yay non matching! matching just sounds like too much work for not enough gain, though maybe you have to apply less glue?

Good luck!

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 04:26:53 am »
I'm just curious what's wrong with non matching horn belly groves thought they where just a small percentage less strong joint ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 01:20:49 pm »

The first picture is with my Turkish warbow to show the difference in shape. The 2nd is it braced and the 3rd is at about 22 inches. Full draw on this one will be 27/28.
Force/draw on this to 22 is - 21#@10 , 31#@12 , 39#@14 , 46#@16 , 50#@18 , 55#@20 , 61#@22
The bow is 43 1/2 inches.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 04:39:36 pm »
Wow, looks great Mike!

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 02:04:41 am »
Thanks Aaron.
The non matching grooves/matching grooves thing isn't really about extra glueline strength. Not one of the old bows had matching grooves so you have to ask yourself why they made them with non matching grooves (it was nothing to do with time to make them). The properties of dried glue mean that stiffness-wise it is inbtween the wood cores stiffness and the horns stiffness. So when you do the glue-up and both sets of grooves are filled with glue the dried glue basically becomes a 'medium' between the two materials with 'teeth' extending into both surfaces and therefore making the transition between materials less defined.
this bow has been to 26 now and it behaving itself very well. No stability 'issues', limb strengths relative one to the other are staying stable. I'm hoping to get out at the weekend with my flight arrows and seeing what she will do. Fingers crossed for 400yds +   :)

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 02:25:40 am »
Mike, I think you nailed the tiller for that profile. I am very much looming forward to seeing some performance numbers from it.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 02:28:49 am »
Hey, you are holding out on us. I want that all the way back full draw pic!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 11:15:46 pm »
  Looks great, I would shoot it at the shorter draw with an over draw. Shortest arrow you can get away with.

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 03:03:02 am »
Sleek i'll try and get a friend to take a full draw photo. I'm not holding this thing at full draw waiting for a timer!!!
Badger - I'm off out tomorrow to test it at my place for flight shooting.  I have high hopes! I've got a wide range of flight arrows now and will try to get some shots off with them all and record the distances. When you say an 'overdraw' are there any simple designs that you can 'fit' to a bow? I'm not ready to use a siper yet.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 06:36:10 am »
Damn you! You're making me want to try one on these >:(  ;)
Looks great.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2016, 01:35:23 pm »
Mike that bow is lookin great. A Turkish flight bow will be the first wood core horn bow I attempt.
I have all the ingredients, but am second guessing my yew core.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2016, 02:33:53 pm »
Great bow and pics Mike and showing of your progession in poundage.She loads up a bunch early man.A 6.3 ratio mass to draw weight says it should shoot fantastic.The tillering peg board is the way I would like to tiller mine.Did you use tepliks still yet though to get that far to the board?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2016, 02:42:16 pm »
Seeing better here I see your training your left limb to bend a little more to better tiller with the inner tube band.How long can that take to come around good for ya?Imagine then you'll start shooting it some.
Keep us posted man.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2016, 10:16:07 pm »
Mike,

Will you take me on as an apprentice? I promise I won't turn to the dark side
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson