Author Topic: Inducing deflex/All reflexing/broke  (Read 13065 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Inducing deflex/All reflexing/broke
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2016, 07:43:36 pm »
yes probably not just one thing,, for sure,,, but next time you get it to 26 shoot if for me,, :) :) :)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2016, 09:26:48 pm »
That break looks like grain run off the way it goes from one side of the limb to the other.  I'm working on a bow with almost that exact same profile.  I overbuilt mine since its going to a trade blanket at a mostly FG bow shoot.  I left mine 68" long for a 28" draw.  I figure they might hold it at full draw longer than a selfbow should normally be held since they are used to modern recurves.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2016, 11:13:02 pm »
Ed sorry to see it. That had potential. I have a couple I am shooting now with the same type crack in the top growth ring due to me not being patient on the moisture. I agree with the wrap but they are not pleasing to my eye. One question do the bows you are building with that much reflex have more shock ? Assuming the bows have same draw weight?   Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

mikekeswick

« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2016, 01:15:58 am »
Sorry to see that.
My deflexing form is two triangles placed on top of a straight 3x2. You can move them in or out and just clamp the handle, giving each side equal time under the gun. They always come out event. Just for next time!
Chrono numbers on your composite are good ;)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2016, 10:37:58 am »
Yes fellas it's one of those should of been would of been type things that at least I know exactly why it failed.Really wish I would of came through on this one.I've got more wood.....lol.Seems as though looking through my stash at the longitudal lines I really don't have an absolutely straight stave so I will definitely pay closer attention to that next time.Seems like I've seen that longitudal line shift some through the thickness of the limb before too but if followed correctly on the back it should'nt have broke.Where it broke was actually where it quit working in the limb too.About 10" down from the tip.The reflexed tips stayed stiff.Still know I can do this,and as Arnie Swararzenpickle says....I'll be baaaack!!!
Anyway Selfbowman.....to answer your question about hand shock on higher reflexed bows of mine here really and honestly not much.Not in the bowhand per say.My bow arm can definitely feel the bow loading up early on in the draw of course and stays nice and steady throughout the draw and when released cleanly it's just a whispery snap with very minimal thump at all.I'd love for you to shoot it sometime to verify my statement.Now I'm shooting at least 11 gpp arrows too.Which if I was to shoot an 8 gpp that could very well be a little different.That bow is 60" long.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2016, 11:07:27 am »
Thanks Ed I was curious. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2016, 03:43:46 pm »
ok Ed, since this is still up, I have been thinking on this every day,
well when you put that amount of reflex to the bow,,
my thinking is that means the bow is being drawn that much further,, alot further than a dead even bow,
plus the wood has been manipulated quiet a bit,
what you think about over building it just a bit to compensate for the extra strain the wood is seeing,,
just asking what your thoughts would be on that,,  :)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2016, 11:15:32 am »
Well Brad it's up because I'll report the good with the bad.I try to be honest and open about all of this.Lots of variables to your question.I'm sure you know.Yes it gets drawn a good foot or so just to brace.That's my extra stored energy.The finished poundage should be less then a bit to lessen the stress I feel or to make the bow longer.No way of getting around that.That all can depend on the quality of the wood too.
Many feel the R/D design does the trick.I feel they're right too of course.These paticular points and thoughts about compensating stress I thought were discussed on the thread.I really feel that bow would have made it had I not overlooked that sneaky little runoff there,but that's all it takes once in a while.The bending portions of the limbs were fine.This is very doable.Not with every type of wood of course.Osage is the only one that I think can do this.I might go a couple of inches longer next time I'll see if the stave I use is from the same tree.Sometimes during a build a bow can kind of morph into something that was not intended too.I always try to leave my options open.My experiment went farther than just the build.I wanted to see from a lot of usage how it held up over time.A sacrificial bow so to speak.
If I did'nt live in an osage growing area I would have second thoughts about this for sure.Just making a shootable decent bow right now feels like I'm treading water and going nowwhere with this hobby.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2016, 01:58:47 pm »
thanks for you thoughts, I get a better idea what you are going for ,, there should be a sweet spot there for you with the bow design that shoots great and and holds up to lots of shooting,,,,, thanks for posting,