Author Topic: First day of season  (Read 1406 times)

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
First day of season
« on: September 01, 2016, 09:50:20 am »
This morning was the first day of squirrel season here in Ohio. Was cool enough that I had to give it a go. Limit is 6 but was warming up by the time I got the 4th so I came home for breakfast. One didn't make it into the pic.

Steve Bennett

Offline osage outlaw

Re: First day of season
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 09:53:57 am »
Nice shootin'
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 09:56:23 am »
Nice hunt, it opened here in TN. last Monday, been so sticking hot I have yet to go out after them little buggers, love hunting them with my 22 also. :) I like hunting them also with my bow but it is more like stump shooting when I do that. ??? Looks like you rifle is zeroed nicely. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 10:02:42 am »
Yeah,  been hot here also but was down to 58 this morning. Aready in 70s now and up into 80s this afternoon.
Steve Bennett

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 10:09:30 am »
Cool turtle....Good shooting!!!Got plenty there for a few good meals.It opened here too sept. 1st.Lots of leaves here still though.The other day out stump shooting an arrogant buck squirrel kept barking at me and I got to within 20' of him.He is in the freezer now.....lol.
Those look like red fox squirrels.They are here too and those smaller grays.They're a little harder to get....lol.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 10:11:09 am »
Nothin like some pot pie
meat to sharpen your aim. :)
Beware of those nasty chiggers. >:D
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 10:11:50 am »
Great fun and necessary to keep the population healthy. They sure can get out of hand fast when hunting stops.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 10:57:34 am »
Good shooting. That's a nice old Remington you have there too.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 12:46:09 pm »
Cool turtle....Good shooting!!!Got plenty there for a few good meals.It opened here too sept. 1st.Lots of leaves here still though.The other day out stump shooting an arrogant buck squirrel kept barking at me and I got to within 20' of him.He is in the freezer now.....lol.
Those look like red fox squirrels.They are here too and those smaller grays.They're a little harder to get....lol.

They were all grays. Didn't see any fox squirrels today. I hear you about the early season leaves. I saw at least 5 I could never get the crosshairs on cause of all the leaves.
Steve Bennett

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 02:39:24 am »
Man, dont waste them skins! Perfect for making rawhide bow strings.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline chamookman

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 04:03:12 am »
The Tails are worth .25 apiece or for credit against lures, from Mepps Spinner Company. Used to do that when I was a Kid. Just salt the tip of the tail, or carefully split the Butt end and remove the bone/meat and then salt.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 12:40:19 pm »
Nice shooting! But now you can't have scrambled eggs and squirrel brains!:)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 07:22:58 pm »
Congrats!

Few friends are goin' for them with the bows early next month.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2016, 09:08:49 am »
Nice shootin, i went out thursday got 2 , than again friday and got 1. Sorry no pics, but the one i got friday went rite on the spit in the back yard for lunch. Hard to beat slow roasted squirrel over a bed of coals.
DevilsBeachSelfbows