Author Topic: Osage with rattler skins  (Read 5079 times)

Offline H Rhodes

Osage with rattler skins
« on: September 02, 2016, 12:40:10 pm »
 I just finished this one a couple weeks ago.  65 inches nock to nock.  45lbs @ 28".  This bow shoots pretty sweet and it made me appreciate my friends while I was working on it.  The stave was a gift from Robbie Limerick.  The timber rattlers were given to me by my buddy Tommy Stuart.  The beaver silencers came from Badly Bent at the Classic last spring.  The nock overlays are from a little buck I was blessed with last season.  I really enjoyed the problem solving on this stave.  Had some prop twist and the upper limb left the handle at a crazy angle.  It turned out to be a good thing in that the bow turned out to be almost center shot with a natural place for a generous shelf.  It stubbornly held on to an inch of reflex after being drawn to 29 inches which I have started doing just to make sure that it wanted to be a bow.  Thanks to all who contributed to this project and to everyone for looking.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 06:14:16 am by H Rhodes »
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline H Rhodes

Re: Osage with rattler skins
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 12:44:26 pm »
I am on a computer which is a piece of junk.  maybe I can post better pics later....
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 06:16:37 am by H Rhodes »
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 12:47:43 pm »
and a couple more...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 05:46:19 am by H Rhodes »
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 12:53:49 pm »
Very nice work , Howard. The bows that have a piece of your friend circle in them are the most special, far and away.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 01:54:02 pm »
Very nice looking bow Howard.  I love timber skins.  I hope you enter that in the BOM contest
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 02:15:35 pm »
Excellent work Howard, I really like that one

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 02:20:42 pm »
I second the outlaw get that in bom friend bows are the best
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 02:31:55 pm »
Nice work Howard.  Like that a bunch.  BOM competitor for for sure.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 05:38:54 pm »
Howard,
             Nice bend and the canebreak looks sweet...New hunting bow for the season?
                                                                                                                                             Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 06:17:48 pm »
Good to see a bow from you again Howard, looks like a good one too. I bet Tommy didn't have to look to far from home to find that nice snake skin. :)  The skins with the osage are a nice combo and the tiller is perfect so it must be a smooth shooter.
I imagine your getting the itch to get afield and hunt about now.
To bad you ended up with that unbraced profile though instead of some string follow, you know what Howard Hill said right. ;D ;D ;D

I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 06:32:24 pm »
To bad you ended up with that unbraced profile though instead of some string follow, you know what Howard Hill said right. ;D ;D ;D

HaHaHa  that's right BB that bow is lucky to even shoot without at least an inch or two of string follow... :) :) 
Great looking build  Howard.....  way to go!! Bout time you were mak'n some bows....
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline helmet

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 07:14:50 pm »
Really nice bow!

Offline GB

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 07:34:36 pm »
That is one sweet bow.  Lovely bend and the skins and tips look great.  My favorite shooting osage selfbow has a waggle like that at the handle.  Nice!
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 08:31:29 pm »
You said you got the skin from your buddy Tommy.  If that's the same Tommy from the Classic I bet he chased that snake until it died from exhaustion  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 08:43:43 pm »
Thanks for the kind words fellows!  I haven't posted one in a while, so I figured I would let y'all know that I am still cranking one out now and then.  I am fired about this hunting season so there will be more practice shooting and less bow building for the next few months.  Howard Hill did say that Bill!!  You and Greg should remember that so I don't have to repeat myself so much at the next Classic.  ;D  He was right and I am not backsliding - but this one sure is handy to carry around in the bush.  Sorry for the poor pics.  I will try to post another one or two.     
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 05:41:30 am by H Rhodes »
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi