Author Topic: Native American bow build challenge and showcase  (Read 77282 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Native American bow build challenge and showcase
« Reply #120 on: October 08, 2016, 08:42:28 pm »
Just a quick progress report.  Very busy time last month or so and I have been able to squeeze in 30 minutes here and there.  Tempered it again a week ago, and got to scrape on it a bit today.  Enough to get a string on it, but it's still a ways off.  Really like this persimmon a lot.  It's not Osage, but it has some of the same qualities I think.     
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #121 on: October 08, 2016, 09:40:24 pm »
I thought I was the only one that had to build a bow 30 minutes here & there lol  I will be watching for a shooting report on that one should make a nice bow
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #122 on: October 08, 2016, 10:06:20 pm »
Thanks Stick.  I feel privileged to get 30 minutes at times.  Familie's gone for the weekend so I got some SLIMBOB time today.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #123 on: October 09, 2016, 02:42:18 am »
I'm liking the look of that stick SLIMBOB! can't wait to see it drawn. Cheers- Brendan

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #124 on: October 09, 2016, 03:48:36 pm »
While the cat's away....I got to play for a bit this morning.  Reworked the reflex on the tips to get them perfect before finishing the tiller up.  Crude setup but it keeps me outdoors in the fresh air, and it works.  It's cooling down right now (the weather and the bow).  I will check the tiller here shortly.  Getting close.

Ah...Better.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 04:07:10 pm by SLIMBOB »

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #125 on: October 09, 2016, 04:21:28 pm »
Nice! Those make it look all the better! Cheers- Brendan

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #126 on: October 09, 2016, 04:34:43 pm »
Very nice profile looks perfect at brace !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #127 on: October 09, 2016, 05:18:32 pm »
Well...2 up,2 down with Persimmon.  This one broke just like the first.  Tiller was good, no real problem areas.  Had it on the tree to 20 inches, shooting for 25 inches.  36 lbs at 20 inches.  Took it off the tree and touched up a few little spots.  All looked good, drew it to 20 inches, no problems.  Let up and drew again to 21 inches and BANG!  Tension failure.  The nearby knot doesn't seem to be the problem as it broke about an inch before it.  I'm gonna have a cold craft beer now.  Ugly Pug I think it's called.   :laugh:

Offline JonW

« Reply #128 on: October 10, 2016, 09:50:49 am »
Is that PVC? Oh my eyes!!

Offline Thunder

« Reply #129 on: October 10, 2016, 10:23:21 am »
PVC? That's neither a Native American or primitive styled bow.
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #130 on: October 10, 2016, 12:04:11 pm »
That sucks slimbob. Hope the ugly pug was good! Cheers- Brendan

Offline Thunder

« Reply #131 on: October 10, 2016, 12:46:08 pm »
Well...2 up,2 down with Persimmon.  This one broke just like the first.  Tiller was good, no real problem areas.  Had it on the tree to 20 inches, shooting for 25 inches.  36 lbs at 20 inches.  Took it off the tree and touched up a few little spots.  All looked good, drew it to 20 inches, no problems.  Let up and drew again to 21 inches and BANG!  Tension failure.  The nearby knot doesn't seem to be the problem as it broke about an inch before it.  I'm gonna have a cold craft beer now.  Ugly Pug I think it's called.   :laugh:
Hey SLIMBOB
I'm not sure what the deal is with Persimmon, but that happened to my cousin's Persimmon bow. He put a couple hundred arrows throught it and then BANG! It failed in tension but we couldn't really tell what the real issue was. It just decicded it didn't want to be a bow anymore. Did the Ugly Pug help a little?

Cheers
Thunder
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline gpw

« Reply #132 on: October 10, 2016, 01:49:53 pm »
  “ That's neither a Native American or primitive styled bow.” ...   Primitive Archer Magazine Magazine Volume three Issue Four ... Hidatsa Archery , by Ron Taillon

Disclaimer , I’m not trying to pull anything over on you guys , just saying it’s the SHAPE that works !!!   ...        Since I’m nobody , the materials aren’t important ...  These are not the droids you want ...    hahahaha 

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #133 on: October 10, 2016, 02:08:52 pm »
The Ugly Pug was perfect for the occasion. Truth is, I don't mind the breaks much. Reminds me to stay humble. I just can't really determine the cause here. Tiller was pretty good at this point. I was already planning the finish. I will say it seemed very dry. RH here last few days has been in the 20's plus I tempered the day before. It may have just been too low mc wise. On to the next one. It's all good.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #134 on: October 10, 2016, 03:04:47 pm »
This will be my first bow post. A sinew backed modoc style yew bow, 44" long, draws 52 lbs@25". Muskrat fur tips, cherry bark grip, and a flax string from the garden. I know it's not NA, but it's what I have.
Right limb seems a little too eliptical. The grip looks like it may be bending a bit much, but that may be an illusion from the tiller board....seems like a light excuse to me.
Full draw on the tiller board before painting, I know, not the smartest idea, but until someone does a how-to on taking full draw pics with a camera....
I suppose I could ask my wife. I'll try that method and post more pics later with a strung profile and real full draw. Criticism would be greatly appreciated on tiller. Thanks

Eric
Eric