Author Topic: Design Tweeks To Increase Longbow Performence  (Read 7534 times)

Offline Selfbowman

Re: Design Tweeks To Increase Longbow Performence
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2016, 01:24:08 am »
What Beadman said will help a lot. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline loon

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2016, 04:50:52 am »
I've posted the pics using google drive but I don't know why you can't see them.
Anyway, I've read the post on no set tillering but I didn't quite get it. So if you can explain a bit more clearly- that'll be great.
Thanks.
Dor

I think maybe they aren't in a public folder, or...
try this
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15557392/how-do-i-display-images-from-google-drive-on-a-website
Hosting on Google Drive won't work anymore...
I should probably try Google+ Photos, not sure if I should recommend it

Offline arachnid

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2016, 07:10:56 am »
What Beadman said will help a lot. Arvin

My nocks are wood.. Not horn so I can't use fast flight.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2016, 07:38:18 am »
Not at all true in my experience.  Many of my string knocks are wood and all my strings are FastFlite.  I pad the loops to fatten them up but nothing more.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2016, 08:01:16 am »
I do the same. Although I just use Dacron B50. I like a little extra cushion on the loops more so when the bows have a sinew wrapping.
Northern Ute

Offline arachnid

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2016, 09:54:06 am »
Well, aside from string and thinner/narrower tips, length (thanks Marc. I always make my bows 66" just in case) any more design modifications? How about limb profile and dimention? What will be best for BBI?

Oh, Badger, if you can explain the 'no set tillering' technique that'll be great!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2016, 12:07:12 pm »
no need to design your bow poorly just in case,,Marcs advise would make quite a positive difference in your cast,,

Offline scp

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2016, 01:08:34 pm »
I would try to make the working limbs thinner and wider. Within reason of course. Experts here appear to prefer rather narrow limbs for speed. If you are not willing to make the bow shorter, you can always make the handle longer, making the working limbs shorter.

Offline arachnid

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2016, 01:13:21 pm »
As far as I know, with dense tropical woods like ipe, a narrow deeper limb is better. This bow is 1 1/4" wide at the fades. I've gone even 1" wide on one BBI I've made.

As for length, if my draw is 26" times 2- that's 52". Plus 8" handle and fades- that gives me a minimum of 60" total length. So I guess 62" ttt will give me about 60" ntn.
Is that for boo backed ipe or can I use this length with less dense woods? I also use white oak and it tend to take a lot of set. If I make it shorter.....

Offline scp

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2016, 07:09:37 pm »
It depends on how thin you are willing to go. I don't find it "primitive" enough to make the limbs as thin as fiberglass recurves, but sometime go as thin as 1/4 inch, but 2 inches wide working limbs.

I prefer long stiff handles, usually as long as 12 inches or even longer. I read somewhere a physicist likes it that way as well. Many European flat bows have very long handles. That means my flat bows are often 66 to 72 inches long.

Offline arachnid

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2016, 12:59:04 pm »
It depends on how thin you are willing to go. I don't find it "primitive" enough to make the limbs as thin as fiberglass recurves, but sometime go as thin as 1/4 inch, but 2 inches wide working limbs.

I prefer long stiff handles, usually as long as 12 inches or even longer. I read somewhere a physicist likes it that way as well. Many European flat bows have very long handles. That means my flat bows are often 66 to 72 inches long.

What is the benefit of having a longer handle? It`s not a working part

Offline PatM

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2016, 01:27:39 pm »
A long handle makes the limbs relatively shorter per bow length  which increases their speed potential.

Offline arachnid

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2016, 01:53:52 pm »
A long handle makes the limbs relatively shorter per bow length  which increases their speed potential.

So I guess it's just like making a shorter bow.
And while on that topic- why does a shorter limb has higher speed potential? Is it because the "load" spreads over less material, making every inch work harder and thus store more energy?

Offline Badger

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2016, 02:27:15 pm »

And while on that topic- why does a shorter limb has higher speed potential? Is it because the "load" spreads over less material, making every inch work harder and thus store more energy?

This is a debatable question. It wouldn't be hard for using a controlled test to settle the issue once and for all. A shorter limb has less limb available to vibrate and distort durring the shot sequence but is not the highest energy storing feature. It can store decent energy ratios and excel in efficiency. I think this is what makes it faster.

Offline arachnid

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2016, 02:50:48 pm »

This is a debatable question. It wouldn't be hard for using a controlled test to settle the issue once and for all. A shorter limb has less limb available to vibrate and distort durring the shot sequence but is not the highest energy storing feature. It can store decent energy ratios and excel in efficiency. I think this is what makes it faster.

Steve, can you explain? I didn`t quite get it....

P.S
Can you explain the no set tillering ?