Author Topic: Horse slaughter?  (Read 6516 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Horse slaughter?
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 06:59:34 pm »
Horse ,cow, deer, pig, goat ... I don't get it....
What's the beef with eating horse? ;) The French manage it ok... mind they also eat snails ::)
Del

And for all you neigh-sayers, I have eaten horse on several occasions and it is fine food.  My "beef" is the same I have with any and all commercially processed meats, has the animal been humanely treated and killed?  Sadly, many processors do not want to be saddled with the responsibility of simple respect for the animal.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 07:52:35 pm »
The meat is good. I ate it in Europe and South America. And what they are doing now is no different then what I saw in the 70's in Wyoming around Rock Springs and Green River. BLM was rounding them up them and the majority went to dog food factories.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hummingbird Point

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 05:36:12 pm »
I just got done reading a book on the Lewis and Clark expedition.  While crossing the Bitterroot Mountains on the way to the Pacific they had no idea how long it was going to take and how poor the hunting would be and had to eat their horses.  They barely made it.  On the way back, they planned ahead and bought extra horses from the Nez Perce to slaughter along the way.  The Nez Perce were appalled.  Horses were wealth and status to them, so it would be like watching someone using a wad of cash as toilet paper.

Which reminds me of my wife's favorite joke.  Two guys went camping but forgot the toilet paper.  One guy really had to go so his buddy tells him, "just use a dollar."   So he goes off and does his business but comes back with his hand covered in crap.  "Why didn't you use the dollar?"  "I did!"  Three quarters, two dimes and a nickel."

The wild horse thing is a political mine field.  No matter what they do they will end with crap all over their hands.  Best to just leave them alone and let nature sort it out.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 07:11:21 pm »
Mullet,
Pre 70's you would be correct,but after 74 it would not and especially not by the BLM.

I have been involved with this issue,from all angles for the majority of my life.If you folks just want to vent and discuss possible senarios or judgments from a political  or special interest point of view,then have at it,but if you want the facts and an unbiased view,from someone who has been raised with it and had family involved with it,since the turn of the last century,then ill be happy to take the time and deliver a simple solution,that i have  recomended,for at least 30 years,that not many seem to want to hear.Seems its all or nothing for all sides concerned.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 07:23:19 pm »
I would suggest they use them just like the deer in the "Hunters Feeding The Hungry" program. I don't see anyone protesting all the tens of thousands of deer that go to soup kitchens.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2016, 08:12:55 pm »
Actually Eric...
There are those that protest deer killing for soup kitchens.Can you imagine it with the American stigma,attached to the horse.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2016, 09:08:33 pm »
We need to clone up some Paleo hunters.
Case closed >:D
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline DC

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2016, 09:48:48 pm »
Actually Eric...
There are those that protest deer killing for soup kitchens.Can you imagine it with the American stigma,attached to the horse.

There are people that protest everything. I think us people that don't protest should start protesting all those that protest every little thing that comes along. Or something like that ;) ;) ;)

Offline bubby

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2016, 10:29:49 pm »
Ok traxx i am all ears i would like to hear your solution
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2016, 10:44:00 pm »
From my point of view, they are an invasive species that causes damage to the environment and reduces the viability of native species in their own environment.  They are just a prettier version of the wild hogs wrecking Texas and other states.

How's that for stirring the pot?

Offline Mounter

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2016, 11:24:16 pm »
I kinda agree with you JW. If you can't eat them or capture them for personal use, they're not of much use. Especially since they are a feral animal.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2016, 11:39:13 pm »
Here are the facts concerning "Wild" horses in the Western states,that many,especially those in "Protection groups dont want you to know,even though its documented fact.

Dont get me wrong,im not a anti wild horse advocate,but i think they need to be managed as every other animal on public or private range should be.

First and foremost.....
By all rights,there shouldnt be any free roaming wild horse or Burros on public range today,PERIOD.
It is another case of federal incompetence once again and had they done their job,based on the laws they passed and expected others to follow,it wouldnt be the issue,it is today.
In 1937 the Taylor grazing act was passed by congress.This law ended open range free grazing.All range land was sectioned off into grazing allotments and issued to applicants for grazing rights.All animals within private ownership,were to be removed by 1939,or considered feral and under the ownership of the federal govt.ALL and i repeat ALL animals on Federal land at this time,were owned by someone at some point in time.Some were under current ownership and some had been abandoned by owners who had either passed and family had not claimed them or the ranches had gone out of business and these animals had not been branded and or claimed.Some of the feral equine,belonged to the Govt as Remount breeding stock,and were under management by civilian contractors .In all cases it was under the Jurisdiction of the Govt,to remove all un gathered and unclaimed animals after 1939.For several years up into the 40's the Federal Govt did remove many by several different methods and did keep the animals in check,for the most part.throughout the years from the 40's through the early 70's it was common practice for the feds to ignore and look the other way,if civilians wanted to gather these animals and relieve the Feds of the responsibility.After the Wild horse and burro act was inacted,due to lobby by velma Johnson aka wild horse annie,the horses had full protection from the public and also subject to legal red tape and battles,concerning their managment,resulting in the mess it has become today.Velma even admitted on her death bed,that she may have gone about things wrong and created a monster.
There were NO animals that were remnants of Spanish herds or prehistoric herds left in existence at this time,regardless of what some would have you believe.All feral horses in existence in the western states can be identified in their herd management areas,back to their owners of origin.The horses closest in genetic makeup to the Spanish barb horses,is within the Kiger Herd in Oregon and that is a distant match,brought into the country at a later date.Any horses,in Native Herd that may have carried some of this genetic makeup were eradicated or bred out by the late 1800s.

So....
Basically,if it were not for those livestock grazers,that activist claim are stealing the range from the horses,there wouldnt be any horses,for them to "Steal" it from.They are predominately descendants from those ranchers herds.These same ranchers that not only pay grazing fees,but also pay for and provide range improvements, that not only benefit their livestock but wildlife and yes,even feral horses,on top of the same taxes that others pay.that.Of all the animals on the public range,the Feral horses and burros,actually have the least right to be there,and in fact,due to mis management,are the most damaging to the public range and riparian areas.This is due,lack of monitoring and rotation of their use and how they physically graze and utilize water holes.
But,the numbers have increased through the years to a level,that something must be done and done in a more effective manner.With the stigma of the "Wild Mustang" that has been presented to the public in later years by advocacy groups with their celebrity spokes people and hollywood movie portrayals,the idea of total eradication,will never fly so....

I have proposed on severall ocasions a way that will compromise all involved if they would allow it.Its really very simple.

Sanctuaries.
They could set up sanctuary HMA's that allow some to roam freely and allow the public to view them in that state and limit the amount of numbers on other ranges that are in competition for grazing.This would still be under federal jurisdiction and managment,but at a much smaller scale and therefore more efficient and at a lower cost to the tax payer.There would have to be some sacrifice by all parties involved,but that must be accepted to compromise for the best for all.
Unfortunately,most are not willing to compromise.I will say though,that there seems to be more willing acceptance,from the livestock production side,than the horse advocacy side.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2016, 12:10:05 am »
Also...
I wanted to adress a previous comment.
  Best to just leave them alone and let nature sort it out.
That would,eventually work in managing the horse numbers,but would also effect others within the multiple use spectrum and would result in eradication of other species and usage to the point of no return.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2016, 10:43:14 am »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2016, 11:45:55 am »
I got a friend with a couple Kiger mustangs.  Sure footed, quick stepping, hell-and-gone smart cowponies, flint-hooved and shoeless, and more than just a little intolerant of a less than skilled rider!  And absolutely willing to debase and humiliate themselves for a little Pizza Hut peppermint!!!