Author Topic: Spring Turkey Season is Coming!!!!  (Read 14383 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Spring Turkey Season is Coming!!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2008, 10:38:31 pm »
  Yankee, Nice birds. I hope to go next weekend. Those ol' Deathwish Rio's probally new the camera was there and was posing. Don't get offended but Rio's have to be the easiest turkey I ever hunted.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2008, 11:20:56 pm »
Boy, I'm glad to hear that. Never hunted turkey before, got an ace up my sleeve already ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 11:34:35 pm »
Mullet....Rio's are a whole lot easier to Hunt than the Turkey back Home.....but these Panhandle Rio's don't act like the Rio's in the Wooded areas of East Texas do....They are so used to the Open Country of the Desert here...that they are a lot harder to stalk...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 11:42:35 pm by yankeemongiat »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2008, 07:28:31 am »
Ya here in Tennessee we start March 29th till sometime the middle of May and can take 3
birds.Then we have a fall season any time you are hunting with a bow.that one is 1 of either
sex.Can't bait in Tenn. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2008, 09:09:22 am »
Texas is one of the Only States that allows Hunting over Bait....but then a Lot of other States allow Food Plot.....so whats the Difference there???? One looks Mechanical....the other Natural....both serve the same purpose to me...you can only bait on Private Land here....not State or Federal......I really don't Hunt over it....I catch them in the Alfalfa Fields....and the Salt Cedars....where I can get closer to them.....don't do Blinds and such....I stalk in a Guille Suit for Deer and Turkey....like Elmer Fudd.....I go vewy vewy Quite!!!! >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2008, 09:49:00 am »
In Tn. you can feed them but all must be gone 10 days before the season,but we have guys hunt around feed lots and hog parlors witch is about the same thing.I usually hunt them from a ground blind,and call them in,ant had much luck stalking them,to inpatient.  :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline John K

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2008, 01:41:33 pm »
Five days only....damn...did they just start Turkey Season again there in Wisconsin...like they did in Michigan?? We get like 45 days here..

We have had a season for sometime now, the DNR is just stingy with "there" Turkeys ::) I was able to stick one last year on the second day and i saw lots of birds. Next year we go to 7 zones, now i think there are over 30  :o

There are so many birds around i think one of these days we should be able to buy a tag over the counter, like deer  ;D
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2008, 02:13:46 pm »
I'm so jelous.  Snow, turkeys waiting to be thumped.
Steve in LV, NV

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2008, 10:28:23 pm »
In Tn. you can feed them but all must be gone 10 days before the season,but we have guys hunt around feed lots and hog parlors witch is about the same thing.I usually hunt them from a ground blind,and call them in,ant had much luck stalking them,to inpatient.  :)
    Pappy

I Stalk and Call them in the Spring....but you play Hell trying to call them in the Fall!!

Formerbutcher.....you Guys are on the Drawing System there??? And you have that many Birds?? The DNR and State are trying to make some Money there aren't they!!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2008, 12:49:44 am »
Hey Pappy. I don't know about the unit you hunt, but in at least Clay and Macon Co. you can now kill 4 birds.
  I'm already loosing sleep just thinking about it!!!
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2008, 01:43:35 am »
must be nice to live in a state where the dnr is liberal with the turkey tags,here in MN we get one bearded bird (if your lucky enough to kill one) in the spring,and one bird either sex in the fall,very little of the state is open for fall hunts,about half to two thirds open for spring,all done on lottery spring  and fall. our dnr is still claiming we dont have a strong enough population of birds to open it up to more birds or over the counter tags. every flock i keep and eye on (which is about six differant ones) when they are in there winter flocks they average 150 birds each.,and thats all within about a 20 mile radius from my house,that doesnt even count the flocks i know of on state land. i tell you what these easterns here can be real buggers to hunt to,even on private land they get so pressured they are worse than deer.
one year on a piece of private land that i bow hunt,the guy lets people hunt all season long,the birds would see a decoy and head the other way,they would hear you call and head the other way,they would see a blind and head the other way. the private land around here isnt huge tracks of land,maybe 150 acres would be average and most of that would be field and maybe about 40-50 acres would be woods so stalkinf is almost out of the question. can make for some tuff hunting.been eating tag stew the last few years,never did acquire at taste for that yet. lol :D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2008, 02:04:53 am »
This is what I hunt....The first one is from the Highway looking in....the others are in the Alfafa Field I hunt them in....and I stalk them in the Tall Grass and Brush on the skirts of the Fields

[attachment deleted by admin]
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline John K

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2008, 01:24:42 pm »
Yankee, Yep Lottery system and they are making money! Plus they had over 50,000 left over tags you can buy now for 10 bucks a piece. I'm lucky enough to have some private land to hunt so there are lots of birds.
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2008, 05:13:54 pm »
  We can take two birds in the Fall and two birds in the Spring. But....if you shoot one, you have to look long and hard to find a check station. ::) Most times the freezer is easier to find ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2008, 10:11:59 pm »
F.B......You are lucky to have a private place to Hunt....do your best to keep it....they are getting rare!! And good luck filling your Tags this Spring

Mullet....I hear ya....I have accidentally thrown a dead Turkey into an empty Corn Sack....and forgot to tag it myself....My Bad!!!
2024...We Will Overcome