Author Topic: takedown horn and sinew bow  (Read 4370 times)

Offline CGB

takedown horn and sinew bow
« on: September 18, 2016, 02:57:26 am »
my subject line says the jist of what i am interested in doing.  I have many questions if I may before starting the project.  Thanks to any and all who chose to assist.

CGB

Offline loon

Re: takedown horn and sinew bow
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 03:57:48 am »
have you seen the hinging manchu hornbows? though they had relatively little reflex

Offline CGB

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 11:18:21 am »
I had not seen those but what I am doing is to be used for hunting so a I am going to be shooting for 50 to 60 pounds and hopefully at least a 26 inch pull

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 11:51:24 am »
Very interesting and I imagine useful too.Wish I could help.Imagining the construction of it  leaves different views in my mind.I'l be watching this.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 02:20:48 am »
Have a search on youtube for Big Jims takedown series. I've used this method a bunch of times and I think it would work but you would have to use a larger non traditional handle and I'd would also use a glass,G10 or phenolic I beam - wood,horn etc aren't strong enough otherwise. I'd also do a few practises before making a hornbow then cutting it in half!

Offline CGB

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 07:19:16 pm »
thank you I will look at his videos. I am looking to do the build specifically as a take down and not build a bow and cut it. Such will be the nature of my research things like do you have to sinew the full length of the bow or will just the limbs work. I was already planning to do a seperate riser for this build.