Author Topic: Snake skin Backing  (Read 1621 times)

Offline hedgehog

Snake skin Backing
« on: October 03, 2016, 03:26:43 pm »
I have a 4 foot Blacksnake that a found dying by the side of the road. The skin is not damaged at all however it is now very dead. What must I do to prepare it for backing a bow? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stringman

Re: Snake skin Backing
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 03:38:58 pm »
Run a knife or pair of scissors down the belly and pull the skin off like a sock. Then use thumb tacks to tack it to a board (flesh side up) and let it dry. It will take 4-6 hours usually. Then roll it up and store it in a coffee can till ready to use.

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 03:52:01 pm »
Thanks Scott. I wasn't sure if there was anything needed to treat the skin. It sounds like there isn't so I'm ready to sit and wait until I finish ny next short bow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 04:35:10 pm »
Get the fat and soft tissue off the skin while it is still green. A tea spoon works well for this but go lightly as not to tear the skin. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 04:46:52 pm »
And then enjoy a nice cup of tea while it dries

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 08:04:16 pm »
Thanks Pat, I used a scraper and worked carefully.
 Thanks Aaron for the beverage option.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 08:42:52 pm »
When you skin it be careful around the vent (anus).   They can tear there.  I take scissors and cut around each side of the vent before carefully pulling the skin off the body.

Make sure its good and dry before rolling it up and storing it or you will have a moldy mess.  Once I think a skin is dry I'll take it off the board, trim the belly scales off the edges, and then hang it up by a clothespin in my work shop for a couple of days just to make sure.  I don't want a moist skin to ruin my stash of future bow backings.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left