Author Topic: Splicing Went Wrong.... Help Needed PLZ  (Read 6426 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: Splicing Went Wrong.... Help Needed PLZ
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2016, 10:50:31 am »
if you true the joint nice and snug then boil it could you straighten the stave at the same time?

Offline PatM

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2016, 10:50:57 am »
It will easily come into alignment. The splice is super flexible and you can manipulate it the same way to can do a limb glue-up.  Even if your splice was perfect it could still appear way out end to end.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2016, 01:40:57 pm »
Pat, I think if you elaborate on how to true the alignment in the glueing process,, it will work for him,,
how would you recommend proceeding,,  :)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2016, 06:59:15 pm »
Like Pat said, that isn't too bad. Put your glue on the splice, put one C clamp in the middle of the splice and move the limbs into alignment. Use a string to make sure everything lines up, clamp your now aligned limbs to something so they can't move and put two more C clamps on the splice, one on each end and you should be good to go.

I always do my final alignment on spliced billets this way. Every now and then I get one that butts together in perfect alignment but not often.

This isn't a very good picture. I have a post on the end of my workbench to support work when I am rasping. I use the side of the post for splice alignment and heat straightening staves. I can swivel my vise jaws to put more pressure on one side of the limb or the other as well as add shims to force the limb one way or the other sideways.

You can see my post in this picture;

Offline PatM

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2016, 08:43:40 pm »
Follow the advice above. Any temporary clamp and trial straightening will show you how much you can actually move things over before you commit to gluing it.   I prefer inner tube to c-clamps because I feel I can control things a bit better and run into less chance of the clamps skating on me.

You do need to realize that failure at one method does not mean the other options are any easier. Not sure if anyone will say that fitting a take-down sleeve or  aligning a bolted take-down is going to be any easier than a spliced handle.

Offline arachnid

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2016, 01:01:11 pm »
Never said a take down is easier... I just want to find a use for the billets.

So if I get it currently, I don't need to boil the tips, just have a snug fit and force it into alignment?
Wouldn't it just spring back when I unclamp it?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2016, 01:25:27 pm »
not if  its glued,, :)

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2016, 10:59:18 pm »
Just my 2 cents, I'd boil it first, then clamp in alignment while hot, let it cool and dry, the glue.  (Boiling has the  backing of TBB Vol. I ;)

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline arachnid

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2016, 02:59:41 am »
Just my 2 cents, I'd boil it first, then clamp in alignment while hot, let it cool and dry, the glue.  (Boiling has the  backing of TBB Vol. I ;)

Jim Davis

I don`t have such a good experience with boiling.... would steaming work as well?

mikekeswick

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2016, 03:11:29 am »
There is no way I would glue those now.....
You need to get a good enough fit to not seeing light through them. Then boil them, then fit and clamp. Check fit again, you should see no light through the joint (without clamping).
Only then should you glue them up.
Forget 3 piece takedowns for now. The splice is easier.

Offline arachnid

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2016, 03:44:50 am »
The billets needs to be aligned sideways and twisted a bit. If I get it currectly, I work in the splice to get a snug fit (no light showing through). Then boil, align and twist, allow to dry, check the fit again and if the fit and alignment are good- glue it up.

True?

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2016, 12:48:19 pm »
Boil and clamp first. That way, there is a lot less wood removal needed for a good fit.

Boiling is easy for that short section. You only need to have the ends in the water. Lean the limbs against something to keep them standing up and make an aluminum foil tent over the top of the pan, surrounding the limbs.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline sleek

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2016, 12:31:56 am »
Way i see it you have 3 options.

1:  make those two billets fit the way they are, then lay under then an underlay for the handle and an overlay to make a bulbous shape to fit the hand more comfy, and add lots more strength to the splice and hide any ugly it may have. It doesn't need much on top either, maybe 1/8 thickat the least.

2:  Make a new limb for each of them that fits the splice you already made for them. Then you have two bows. Win win :) cake and eating it too!

3:  Make a third piece for a center that each limb splices into. An adapter if you will. It will also give your bow more length and meat to shape the handle how you like, without fear of cutting into the splices.

Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

mikekeswick

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2016, 02:12:54 am »
Boil and clamp first. That way, there is a lot less wood removal needed for a good fit.

Boiling is easy for that short section. You only need to have the ends in the water. Lean the limbs against something to keep them standing up and make an aluminum foil tent over the top of the pan, surrounding the limbs.

I disagree here. If the fit was better then maybe yes boil now but the fit leaves quite a bit to be desired....Get he fit much better first then boil. Remember heat weakens wood and I personally would only boil once. In my opinion boiling is best saved till you have a good fit then the boiling will make the fit perfect.
Also if you boil now and then shape you have no option other than to get the fit perfect by hand because if you tried to boil again at the end when the wood heats up it will go back to its original preboiled shape - thus ruining your shaping work and putting you back to square one.

Offline DC

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2016, 11:46:11 am »
Get a piece of 1x2 scrap and make a half dozen or so splices. Practice, practice until you figure out how it all fits and how to cut it. Then go back and look at the bow again. You may be able to cut a new splice and have the new fingers match up(sorta) with the old ones. That may keep a bit of the length.