Author Topic: Let's Build a Trilam! (Finished pics on page 12... Refinished pics on page 13)  (Read 49068 times)

Offline jeffp51

Re: Let's Build a Trilam!
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2016, 08:29:42 am »
It has been a month. How's it coming?

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2016, 02:55:13 pm »
Sorry for the long delay, part busy with life and part I'm still feeling a little gun shy on this, so I have been making progress on it, but it's been little by little.

Here's where she stands now.  Here's the video of me exercising the bow to 17".  I have the bow at a 3" brace now.

https://youtu.be/SOHlKUyxK8g

And pictures of the bow braced, at the 17" draw, and unbraced right after working on it.

It's sitting right at 40# @ 17".  That gives me a little bit of wiggle room to get the limbs right (the goal is 55# @ 29").  My impressions:  The fades are not bending as much as the last time I posted (I've been primarily working on the outer 2/3rds of the bow while giving the limbs a general scraping so I don't make a hinge).  It looks like the limbs are bending fairly evenly.  I think if anything the outer 2/3rds are still a touch stiff, but I don't want to make the mistake I did on the 1st trilam where I ended at full draw with the fades being stiff, so after I see what is said here, then I'll proceed accordingly. 

I don't have any big plans over Christmas (in fact, we'll most likely be getting a big snow storm on Christmas Day), so I will have time to get at it.  I'm feeling a little more confident that this will end up as a bow vs a bow-shaped object, so I'll try to get this thing finished soon.

"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline DC

« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2016, 03:01:35 pm »
It's sure a pretty thing :) :) :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2016, 03:45:23 pm »
Looking good, Ty. Very good. Take it easy and bring it around slowly. Leave the last 12" on both limbs alone and get the rest from the fades to mid limb.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2016, 10:21:37 pm »
that looks like it will be fast.  can't wait to see it in person.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2016, 10:38:49 pm »
So Pearl, just to be clear, I should work on from the fade out to about 12" from the tip?
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #81 on: December 23, 2016, 09:10:05 am »
Yes sir. If you draw a straight line up from the thermometer, that's your stop point. Its about where your reflex starts. Its already working enough for now so get the area from fade to there moving. It will probably be close to your target length by then.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #82 on: December 23, 2016, 09:14:18 am »
Take a look back at a few RD bows Marc has posted. He tillers them as good as you can. Pay close attention to his unbraced and drawn pics. Look at where the bending is happening. Its more even along the limb than it appears because the reflex is "uncurling" and that accounts for bending limb even though it looks almost flat drawn.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #83 on: December 23, 2016, 10:26:12 am »
Today will be a really slow day at work. I'll take a few moments to look at Marc's r/d bows for sure. Thanks for the suggestion!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 10:21:06 pm by ty_in_ND »

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #84 on: December 23, 2016, 02:57:23 pm »
Take a look back at a few RD bows Marc has posted. He tillers them as good as you can. Pay close attention to his unbraced and drawn pics. Look at where the bending is happening. Its more even along the limb than it appears because the reflex is "uncurling" and that accounts for bending limb even though it looks almost flat drawn.

I see what you mean from looking at a few of his bows.  I see why you suggest to work on the inner 2/3rds vs the outer 2/3rds.  I will definitely stay away from the outer 1/3rd and try to shoot for making it bend like Marc's.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #85 on: December 23, 2016, 03:03:09 pm »
Working too far out is what bit you on your last attempt. This one looks very good and very close.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #86 on: December 23, 2016, 03:12:55 pm »
Yeah, I wonder if I would have left the outer limbs stiffer at the end of trilam #1 then maybe the knot that started to crack would have been fine.  I just did a general scraping of the full limb to get the weight down once I got the bow to brace height.  The knot was within the same 12" range you said to leave alone on this bow.  Something to keep in mind for the future.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #87 on: December 26, 2016, 01:01:32 pm »
Well, here's where the bow is sitting now: I've scraped the bits of the bow where Pearl suggested.  I've pulled the bow down to 20" and got it to full brace.  Here are the pictures:

And the video of pulling on the bow:

https://youtu.be/mMh5dGXTD7M

At 20" it's pulling 36 lbs, so I don't have a whole lot left to remove if I'd like to get to 55 lbs @ 29".  Again, if it ends up south of 55 lbs I won't cry over it, but I'm hopeful I can at least finish above 50.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #88 on: December 26, 2016, 02:11:38 pm »
Looks good to me. If I did anything for now I would get the mid limb on the right moving just a fuzz more. Maybe 6-8 scrapes. Then start pulling it 15 times per inch increasing to say 24", watching the tiller the whole way. That will get you near 48-50#. Unbrace it and see how well its holding a balanced shape. If it looks good, go or a few more inches and that will get you near your target weight.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #89 on: December 26, 2016, 02:29:11 pm »
That baby is really coming along...I'm glad there are guys like Pearly giving up advice on this one.  I could expertly tell you how to turn that piece of wood into firewood but that's about it.  You have demonstrated a great amount of patience and perseverance on this one.  I can't wait to see it finished up!!