Author Topic: Ash vs maple vs hickory as laminations  (Read 2838 times)

Offline Eric Garza

Ash vs maple vs hickory as laminations
« on: October 04, 2016, 03:03:08 pm »
I have another laminated bow question. I recently learned of a hardwood dealer a modest drive from home who stocks maple, ash and hickory. I plan on visiting to see what quality, and whether he can cut laminations for me (I don't have any power tools to do this myself). Is ash a good backing for hickory? What about maple? Is ash a good backing for maple, or visa versa? I've made a couple laminated bows from kits, but have never invested a lot of time in this art form due to lack of access to reasonably priced materials.

Offline PatM

Re: Ash vs maple vs hickory as laminations
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 03:07:56 pm »
All of those woods are pretty balanced woods. If I were going to laminate them for the purpose of inducing a bit of reflex I would just back them with themselves.

Probably not much point in shuffling them around although some might omit Ash as a belly wood.

Limbit

Re: Ash vs maple vs hickory as laminations
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 09:51:43 pm »
Ash makes a pretty stiff backing and can overpower a softer wood like maple that does not handle compression well leading to compression fissures. Hickory is not as stiff and is very durable, but tends to take more set in humid climates (watch out for that as I just leaned this week), but is an excellent backing material. Maple is the softest of them and doesn't add much weight to the bow or overpower the belly wood, so it is better for softer belly woods. It is also incredibly bendable assuming it doesn't have any blemishes. I prefer using ash because a slightly thicker backing will actually add stiffness to the bow, but I only use it with mid-density belly wood. I just did a black-walnut/ash bow and a myrtle/ash bow. For those two woods, the ash worked much better than hickory or bamboo in comparisons I tried before. Took less set, had more zip, but again, I am in a very humid environment so I am not seeing hickory as it could be in a dry climate.