Author Topic: Victorian Longbows  (Read 8675 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Victorian Longbows
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2016, 04:27:31 pm »
    A couple of years ago I made up several what I called Victorian style longbows. They were very nice shooters. I used white oak back ipe about 1" wide on all of them. I did have small dips, my fade out were about 1" on each side of the handle. They went from 55# to 30# and the lighter they were the more elliptical the tiller. I think they were all about 67" long.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2016, 04:32:23 pm »
    A couple of years ago I made up several what I called Victorian style longbows. They were very nice shooters. I used white oak back ipe about 1" wide on all of them. I did have small dips, my fade out were about 1" on each side of the handle. They went from 55# to 30# and the lighter they were the more elliptical the tiller. I think they were all about 67" long.

Pics or it didn't happen!   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2016, 07:50:30 pm »
I've made two over the years and I wish I still had one. Those were smooth, comfortable shooting bows. And, I'd rather mingle with women then chase arrows.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Badger

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2016, 11:09:25 pm »

Pics or it didn't happen!   >:D  They had a home when I made them.

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2016, 09:22:02 am »
Came across this in Archery Rules, by Charles F. A. Hinrichs one of the many free books available as PDF online - what to wear when shooting at the club

For gentlemen:

a green cloth coat, with gilt buttons having the club device upon them, and a cap of the same colored cloth, with a covered peak.  (Some of these coats came with a leather sleeve insert negating the need to wear an arm guard)

For ladies:

a green jacket over a white skirt, with hat (with narrow brim) and green and white feather; or the following is a very pretty style for a lady's archery costume: a white clear muslin skirt with a deep hem, worn over either a white silk or cambric muslin slip; Russian bodice of white alpaca, trimmed with black lace insertion or braided with black; sleeves tight to the wrist, as that prevents any awkward catching by the string; a pointed black velvet band and sash, trimmed with black lace. Over the left shoulder, and fastened with a knot under the right arm at the level of the waist, a broad green sash, made of silk hemmed at the ends. This sash is gathered into folds and fastened on the left shoulder by a brooch of gold or silver, according to the taste of the wearer, bearing the badge of the club. Hat of white straw, bound with black velvet and trimmed with green and white feathers.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2016, 10:01:43 am »
Don't want to hijack the thread, but Del I'm guessing that private bow museum was access by invitation?  Any other places I could get to see a decent display of Victorian longbows?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2016, 10:33:13 am »
Don't want to hijack the thread, but Del I'm guessing that private bow museum was access by invitation?  Any other places I could get to see a decent display of Victorian longbows?
Yeah, I was invited by someone in the Medieval Society, they take a group round every few years. It was so remote, we had to all meet in a pub and then drive down narrow country lanes somewhere in Kent playing follow the leader to get to it. They even had a rule of only photo's for personal use, and it was, put on the white cotton gloves! I was on my bestest behaviour  :laugh:
It was a brilliant place, everything from flight bows, popinjay bows, abo' stuff, big crossbows, steel bows, composites, paddle bows, Indian and Asian composite bows.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2016, 11:29:48 am »
That sounds like a lot of fun!  Thinking of getting in touch with Manchester University Museum - they seem to have a splendid collection, but I suspect most of it is out of sight and I don't fancy going all the way up there to look at 3 or 4 display cases, especially since I'm really keen to get my mits on some early Saxon composite crossbows..............

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2016, 01:07:10 pm »
That sounds like a lot of fun!  Thinking of getting in touch with Manchester University Museum - they seem to have a splendid collection, but I suspect most of it is out of sight and I don't fancy going all the way up there to look at 3 or 4 display cases, especially since I'm really keen to get my mits on some early Saxon composite crossbows..............
Yeah, they even made us tea and biscuits... very civilised doncha know.
Del 
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2016, 02:46:08 pm »
Did they also supply a highly absorbant and tastefully tailored bib to catch the drool as you stared at the lovely pieces of history in your white gloved hands?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.