Author Topic: From the stand  (Read 49976 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: From the stand
« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2016, 07:54:00 am »
Hope he does that for ya, he is pretty cool looking. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Stringman

« Reply #76 on: October 21, 2016, 09:34:13 am »
Mark, I have zero trouble with that quiver/bow combo. It is light, and holds the arrows well, and I can't tell a difference with it on or off.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #77 on: October 21, 2016, 11:11:40 am »
Pappy I have some bows that allow a strap on quiver and some wont. My straight bows with longer fades will and bows that bend near handle wont accept them. I don't mind side quivers, but bow quivers are much more handy especially in a stand that doesn't have limbs around to hang stuff on. I know the top and bottom pieces have to be very close together on a self bow. Mine might be 12-13" apart.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2016, 01:11:00 pm »
Oddly enough I prefer a bow quiver on my glass bows but not on my wood bows or selfbows.  On glass bow it gives me stability but I find one cumbersome on a wood bow or selfbow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2016, 04:04:05 pm »
I always carry my arrows seperate no matter what type of bow.  I have never liked a mounted quiver.  It just seems distracting to me. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2016, 11:06:51 pm »
Saw a small buck pushing a doe tonight.  He was grunting the entire way.  He stopped to work a cedar tree with his antlers. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2016, 12:34:28 am »
Getting pretty decent out now finally weatherwise.4 hours...No bucks yet...Just a doe and her 2 fawns@ about 30 yards.....A ton of squirrels & birds.Sometimes within arms length.Keeps a person occupied.
Looks like a barred owl Scott.Pretty close too.There's a lot of those here.They'll come into a squealing predator call.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2016, 02:15:33 pm »
I had the same thing happen with the strap on and my Self Bow. It works good on my glass bows and Laminates. I turned one of mine into an Asbell type, also.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2016, 11:49:05 am »
Some nice youngsters this morning before church

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2016, 11:56:46 am »
Good pic and nice deer bud.A 3 year old maybe?I would of shot but a little farther out anyway and apparently you've got bigger fish to fry heh???Congrats on your area too.NICE!!!!!Had a doe bust me yesterday.Wind is changing to NW today and I've been really waiting for that in most of my stands.Still rather warm but a little better.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2016, 04:44:48 pm »
Yeah his body looked like a 2 1/2 year old at first to me but looking back the video I think he was 3. Thanks man no doubt it is a great spot, a good deal of pressure but all the spots I am hunting in iowa the deer seem less pushed than back home in Southern IL. I just use a climber and adjust my ambush point accordingly. Anything else would just get stolen. I am surprised at how many Iowans leave their stands out on public ground, can't imagine human nature is too different from one state to the next lol. I had a group of does smell me and bust two weeks ago and a bit later a doe took the same path, smelled me, and walked up to my tree and stood there looking and then even licking the tree where I had climbed it. Some like it but most don't lol.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2016, 04:49:32 pm »
You guys all keep posting those nice pictures here. I hope to see some on the 2016 hunting pictures soon good luck guys.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #87 on: October 24, 2016, 01:25:50 am »
bjrogg....Thanks but no camera phone.I'll post a pic of one down when it happens with the camera.I hope!!!!
2 more does and 3 youngsters @ around 40 yards.No shot again.There's blue birds and other summertime birds around here yet.Their usually south by now.I'm not seeing bucks of different sizes going through here yet like I usually do chasing does.
That's pretty good for public ground Lumberman.Don't blame ya for being patient though with the pics your showing.Those does are BIG pains in the A$$'$ far as I'm concerned.The deer are calm here too though.Just need things to get just right.I've got 10 stands up.I'm with ya about not leaving my stand there on that public land.I used to go to a big breed coon hunt in Flora,Illinois most springs.Black & Tan days.Won the whole ball of wax there once and placed high a numbers of times.Dead pan flat country there except going a little east or west to the rivers.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2016, 05:16:21 am »
I had a great weekend in the stand, seen lots of deer but no shots, had another 3 point 4 yards and then right under my stand Saturday and then the 7 point I have been looking for also at 4 yards but no shot, Miss Joanie said I needed to trim them beech limbs. ;) :) Seen 5 different bucks over the 2 days and 1 was a really nice one, chasing 4 doe all around the woods. Seen 7 different doe also but about 25 yards was as close and the dared. Great time and it should only get better of the next weeks. Lumber man them are some nice deer, sure wouldn't have gotten a pass if they came by me. I do know from what I have heard and some I have seen Iowa some really big boys so if I lived or hunted there it Might make a difference.  ;) But for me I doubt it. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2016, 10:29:59 am »
I got out yesterday morning, had a deer walk up on me around 6:30,  It was standing broadside at 10 yds from me, but it was so dark I couldn't tell is it was a buck or a doe.  I figured, being that close if I were to stand up and get into position, that I would just spook it off. So I just let it walk on past, hoping it would stay in area another 15-20 minutes till it was light enough to get a shot. No luck, it wandered off and didn't come back.