Author Topic: Root burl  (Read 6390 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Root burl
« on: October 03, 2016, 09:04:39 pm »
I thought there was a small stump sticking up in a trail I was about to mow.  It turned out to be a root burl.  I chopped it out so I could mow.  It was from a large tree that I thought was a red oak until I saw the leaves.  They were locust leaves.  Best we could guess is its a thornless honey locust tree.  I love the color contrast on it.  I hope the burl has some good colors inside.  I'm waiting a year or so before cutting it up.  I don't want it to check. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline penderbender

• island life...
Re: Root burl
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 09:53:52 pm »
That's got some really cool color! Burls are really cool for carving/ turning. Cheers- Brendan
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 09:14:56 am by penderbender »

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 10:39:14 pm »
I can't wait to see what you get when it gets opened up Clint
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 12:00:22 am »
Kinda like getting one of those early presents that you can't open till Christmas. Sure looks like it's got some potential Osage.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 12:06:54 am »
Burried treasure 8)
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 04:38:50 am »
Nice find ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 06:29:54 am »
is it ready yet? Is it ready yet? Is it ready yet?  ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 07:07:56 am »
That will make some good knife handle. What do you mean by check.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 07:43:48 am »
Joe, when wood dries to fast and shrinks to quick it gets drying cracks we call checks. They will run with the grain. That is why we put some type of sealer on our stave ends, and backs ( if we remove bark) and let wood dry from the split belly. After the wood has dried some and shrunk down its safe to expose it. If you look at saw logs or even firewood that's dried without sealing the ends you can see the cracks " checks" some trees can get these even when ther still alive if the bark gets rubbed off
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 09:13:46 am »
Should have interesting grain pattern. I wonder because its from the root section it will be soft when it seasons?
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 09:44:23 am »
Ok thanks. Bjrogg

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 10:04:55 am »
A male honey locust there OO if no pods are there.It's plenty wet yet by the color of the heartwood being so dark.Honey locust heartwood here turns out to be a rich salmon color.Had some rough cut 2 by 4's made once and used them for a coffee table.The grain of those burls is really cool though in the end.Nice project.
I'd say you've got about the most projects I've seen on here unless other people don't post theirs.....lol.Nothing wrong with that!!!!!I can see you are not a throw away type person....lol.Waaaay too much of that going on.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 01:47:26 pm »
Should have interesting grain pattern. I wonder because its from the root section it will be soft when it seasons?

If it is soft slab it up and put it in a jar of wood hardner and then put it in a pot of water till it starts to boil and remove. the lid will seal as it cools thus creating a vacume and in a few weeks it will have great penetration and will be hard
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 07:07:08 pm »
I don't know how soft it will be.  The root and burl was exposed.  It seemed fairly tough when I was chopping it out.  I've cut into some fresh burls before and they cracked.  I'll let this one season for a good while before opening it up.  I've got some osage burls I cut last winter that haven't been opened yet. 

Thanks for the tip on the hardener Bubby.  You're OK for a niners fan.

Beadman, it wasn't the lack of pods.  It was the lack of thorns.  The bark looked a little like a red oak with zero thorns on it.  The leaves looked like black locust leaves.  I hope the dark color stays in it as it dries. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Stoker

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 07:27:36 pm »
Interesting project.. Should get some nice wood outta it.. Seen some burls didn't want to cut the live tree just for them
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano