Author Topic: Puff Balls  (Read 4912 times)

Offline Zuma

Puff Balls
« on: October 05, 2016, 08:33:56 pm »
What a funny name.lol ;D
Although they are puffy.
This is another very easy to spot and identify mushroom. :)
I think the rain we had really brought them out.
I found six today and six yesterday.
The weekend rain from the hurricane should make
all the shrooms pop. The Bolekes/Porcinis
should be along soon.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline jeffhalfrack

Re: Puff Balls
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 10:08:28 pm »
Nice I just put up one the size of a volley ball mushroom omelette  yum. Yum. Jeff w

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 12:41:10 am »
Those first couple look like the "rough skinned" variety. Those are the only puffballs not recommended for consumption. It's easy to tell for sure. If it's not white in the middle don't eat it. The rough skinned ones are muddy colored throughout their life cycle.

We've had tons of boletes, oysters,  and chantrelles for the last couple months. I got a bunch or reishi and artists conchs as well. They don't taste good but are really medicinal and touted as the secret to the longevity in Asian royal families. I love hunting fungi almost as much as hunting critters.

Best advice I ever heard was "Even experts die."  It tends to make one quite cautious. I'll do spore prints if there's even a shred of doubt. If that doesn't clear things up and allow a definite ID, I return them to the earth.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 08:38:20 am »
Man I gotta get a way to post pictures again when I get so time and figure out what I want to do. I don't know mushrooms good but find them all the time. Only ones I eat are morel's. We have these huge white and orange mushrooms all along the pines  I planted in my fence rows 21 years ago. I took some cool pictures of them with my bow and quiver. I got a bunch of pictures I need to post. I know how to I.D. Puff balls but I must not look for them at the right time. There either not out of to far gone
Bjrogg
PS pretty sure the big white and orange one's probably not for consumption nothing else is eating them that I can see.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 01:08:20 pm »
Jeff that's a monster for my area. I have read that they get 24" dia,
Do you preserve any?

Dakota They may look like the nasty rough skinned ones but these
are smooth and pure white inside. I took the close -up photo with a flash.
Do you preserve any?
There is one that has gills inside too. Another bad boy. You are absolutely
correct, "when in doubt throw it out."
BJ Let's get some of those photos up soon. Although I have seen snow on some porcinis >:D
There's fungus amongus. :)

Thanks so much for the replies, Zuma

Here's a good link-
Giant Puffball and Other Edible Wild Puffball Mushrooms ...
americanmushrooms.com/edibles3.htm

There's a lot more information about edible Puffball Mushrooms and other choice edible wildmushroom species ,
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 01:11:44 pm by Zuma »
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 06:06:48 pm »
I found a bunch of those on the golf course today.  I used a 6 iron on them and it looked like it was snowing. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 07:03:33 pm »
We had a good bit of rain in Colorado while elk hunting a couple years back. The small white puffballs were everywhere. I picked up two or three pockets full and brought them into camp. The guys gave me the eye like I was crazy and everyone would die. I cooked some tenderloins and added the shrooms then made a gravy and let it all simmer for a while. Once they tasted it I guess they decided it was worth the risk and everyone ate plenty. Was nice to add the bounty to the meal and enjoyed by all.

Those should be excellent eating Zuma.....
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Zuma

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 09:22:38 pm »
I found a bunch of those on the golf course today.  I used a 6 iron on them and it looked like it was snowing.

Don't do that when they dry out. You'll look like a chimney sweep. >:D
Zuma

Offline Zuma

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 09:24:57 pm »
I'll bring a batch if your cookin at Pete's
this weekend.
Tom and Bill are going to burn a few >:D
Zuma

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 10:18:42 pm »
Zuma what I do is slice it about 1/4" and pan fry in butter and fill sandwich bags then freeze, l have been lucky to find big ones.   I truly don't know what I doing! But have many friends at "Cornell university " a few blocks away they love to see this stuff,,,  I also dehydrate some to add to soups and stock. Good stuff! But I always get a pro opinion before I eat these,,,,one of the professor told me what a horrible way to die is to eat the wrong mushroom,,,,scared the crap out of me. Be carful out there guys!   Jefff W

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 11:43:22 pm »

Don't do that when they dry out. You'll look like a chimney sweep. >:D
Zuma

I know.  When I was little I used to stomp on them and act like my shoes were on fire with all the smoke coming from them. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline chamookman

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 04:36:49 am »
I did the same thing Clint  O:) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 07:53:42 am »
Yup same here
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Zuma

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2016, 11:47:20 am »
ok Which one of you guys did it?

Offline Zuma

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2016, 11:51:27 am »
Dakota,
Here is the Pigskin that you pointed out. :)
I thought I had a pile of gooders. Not so. >:(
You really have to be careful. O:)
Zuma