Author Topic: Video: Super sharp edges with flint flaker  (Read 1977 times)

AncientTech

Offline aaron

Re: Video: Super sharp edges with flint flaker
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 02:45:30 pm »
Interesting vid, thanks. I thought "flint flaker" was going to be a flaker made of flint, , but it is a tiny antler tip used in an indirect percussion method.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Tower

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 11:24:35 am »
There's definitely an art to using that method.
I've tried it a few times when I'm Abo knapping. I just can't seem to hold it right.
It's nice to see it done by  someone who knows how.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

AncientTech

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 09:22:52 pm »
I've tried it a few times when I'm Abo knapping. I just can't seem to hold it right.

Yes, that is right.  Also, those little tips have been found by the thousands, in archaeological sites.  And, they have been routinely identified as "flakers" for at least one hundred years.  The identification comes from use wear patterns such as blunting, faceting, knicks, cuts, scratches, etc.  I have photos of such artifacts on my Facebook page, "KnapYucatan". 

AncientTech

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 09:25:11 pm »

Hello Tower, it will be easier for people who see someone do it, to follow in my tracks.  For me to learn was quite difficult, because I only had a few historical notes in my head, a theory, and nothing visual to follow.

I put together some videos, with narration, that are designed to help explain the process. I will post them here.  Also, Turbo may find this to be of interest.

Take care,

Ben

AncientTech

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 09:41:27 pm »
Tower,

I had a friend named Philip Churchill.  He was a wonderful person, and a great knapper.  He was arguably the best Danish dagger replicator in the world.  He was very excited about my research, because he saw that I had put together a body of evidence that no one had ever seen, or seriously looked at before.

Anyway, Philip was a pro.  He could make anything.  And, when he decided to learn "freehand indirect percussion", he was able to learn in a short ninety hours.  Ninety hours of practice equates to three hours of practice per day, for one month.  And, he was a flintknapping wizard.

Philip was lucky because he could look at my videos and use what he saw to help correct and modify what he was doing.  In my case, there was no one, save the story of some obscure indian flintknappers in Central America.  So, in my case, I think it took about six months of practice - and inventing everything - before my skills began to level out. 

So, my feeling is that if a person can learn in under six months - or ninety hours - the person will be doing fine.  The barrier that people seem to have today is that uninformed flintknappers are often told about "KISS" - "keep it simple, stupid". 

Well, we do not have a right to say that ancient flintknapping qualified as KISS.  Beyond that, ancient people used flaking tools that we still do not understand - even after decades of modern flintknapping.  So, in order for people to learn, and to understand, they will have to break past the mental barriers that have been erected.  We don't have a right to make what ancient people did conform to our own ideas.  The world is bigger than that, much bigger.

January of 2017 will mark the second anniversary of when I first understood how to create overshot with a common deer tine.  So far, all of the followers of "KISS" have not been able to figure it out, though I have shown them the tools, and the results.  And, I would not have figured it out, myself, if I had not come to understand something written a long time ago.  And, what I came to understand does not qualify as "KISS".  But, it sure works great. 

So far, I have been showing the Flint Flaker method for six months.  And, I do not know whether anyone has yet learned.  Hopefully, people will break past the barriers.