Author Topic: cracks along the grain on the back  (Read 2471 times)

nsherve

cracks along the grain on the back
« on: October 21, 2016, 06:18:42 pm »
I was getting started on some hophornbeam, and noticed some cracks along the length of the stave. Is it worth is to keep going? I've seen 4 or 5 of them. They aren't big or very long, but they are around knots and burls. There are a lot of them...other than that, the wood looks good. I cut the tree down last summer, and it's  been sitting up in my barn. I would send some picks of it, but I don't have a camera. Thanks.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: cracks along the grain on the back
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 06:34:55 pm »
Not sure, but I think splits running along the grain are OK if you run some thin cyano into them - I had some in a yew bow and they were not a problem after gluing

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 06:36:42 pm »
If they run with the grain they probably not a problem. Post a pic so we can be sure.
 You can fill them with super glue. If they recently appeared I'd say to seal the back and give it more time to dry.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

nsherve

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 06:44:14 pm »
I don't think they came recently....I remember there being a good bit of them show up almost right away after splitting and debarking the logs. I may try the glue. Thanks...it seems I had read something about it in the past, but I couldn't find it.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 07:11:37 pm »
has the stave finished loosing weight?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 08:30:39 pm »
It's not a problem
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 11:48:40 pm »
This is the main reason people recommend cutting HHB in the winter. It doesn't check if you cut and debark then..

nsherve

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 11:17:12 am »
it's been sitting in a barn loft for a year, so i'm pretty sure it's dry.
i saw it was falling over when i was out bushhogging, that's why i cut it... also, i'ld never heard about cutting it in the winter for that. is it as difficult debarking when cutting it at that time as when doing that with hickory?

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 11:56:44 am »
 It's much easier because it doesn't have that  fibrous inner bark like hickory.

nsherve

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 12:47:18 pm »
thanks. i've seen a few of pretty good size. i may go cut one down before i go back to work. some of them are kinda twisted, but i could find a good one. i plan to cut a big mulberry tree down around the same area, anyway.

Offline half eye

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2016, 04:36:00 pm »
Dont mean to take over your thread, but am posting pictures of a couple Ironwood (HHB) bows one recently posted. Both are made from dead standing Ironwood. one the wood was dead at least 4 years (maybe more) the other was dead sometime last year......anyway both are full of checks. I mean really checked a lot. Both bows are 50# @ 25" one is 47" long and the other is 50" long.....the longer bow is only an inch wide and the scalloped bow is 1-1/8" wide. Both shoot very well with no issues what so ever.

Here are the photos
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2016, 04:38:03 pm »
the rest.....by the way I cut my green HHB just before and during "budding" with no checking issues at all.

nsherve

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 08:22:58 am »
Yep, that's what the checks look like...