Author Topic: New knapping spot  (Read 1995 times)

Offline Tracker0721

New knapping spot
« on: October 24, 2016, 11:37:50 pm »
Bye bye garden shed, hello knapping shed. Gonna be crammed once I finish moving all my obsidian in. Got some large chunks as seen by my size 13 boot compared to that one and the 6" wide shelf. Once I get the window and door on it should be perfect for the winter!
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline iowabow

Re: New knapping spot
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 07:34:21 am »
It is great to have a designated knapping area. That pile should be a lot of fun to knock through.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Orrum

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 09:25:41 am »
Be careful with dust pardner!  BAD on the lungs and obsidian is full of glass dust!
Knapping....If your hobby does not consume you then you have no hobby.

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 09:26:18 am »
Look like some good stuff

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 10:05:12 am »
I'm planning to get a heater in there and a fan that'll be set up to blow the dust out the door behind me as I knap keeping me warm and safe. If it's too cold I'll be wearing a mask for sure and will just have the heater blowing past me.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 02:54:28 am »
THAT'S A PHAT PILE OF ROCKS!! Now I know how a crackhead feels. "Hey Man, let me get one of those. I got this car stereo. How many I get for dat?"    :laugh:

I'm officially jealous.  :'(

I have to hunt for an hour or two just to find a few fist sized chunks of Onondaga and often they are pre-cracked from frost. One good smack and it turns into a pile of little cubes.  The hunting would be better if I drove a few hours north, but I rarely have a free half day to gather stone. The couple boxes that I have purchased really spoiled me. Before that I though I was just no good at knapping. Unfortunately, I think the wife will try to have me committed if I buy another box of large rocks to smash into smaller rocks. Well, I suppose when you put it like that it does sound a little like a mental disorder.

Congrats on the new man cave. I rigged up a box fan with a filter to help with the dust when I'm indoors. A mask is a good idea, but I dislike re-breathing my own hot air and  the foggy safety glasses. 
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Zuma

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 12:33:32 pm »
Woowa!  Nice stach Tracker.
Alot of those nodules look like creek finds.
Is the big hunk quarried?
Can you show some Dasite?
Thanks Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 12:48:55 pm »
That all came from digs at glass buttes and a few fist sized chunks came from picking em up on the top of little butte. I used to have all my rock sorted out to what flavors of obsidian and dacite they were but now it's all just chunked in together

Offline StumblyRhino

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 01:46:51 pm »
What a pile of rocks! Beautiful.
Go Badgers!