Author Topic: Favorite width?  (Read 2894 times)

cool_98_555

Favorite width?
« on: December 26, 2016, 12:18:22 pm »
Hello everyone,

I'm just curious as to what everyone's favorite width is for their osage selfbows, preferably a stiff-handle osage selfbow.  Personally, I like the narrower 1 1/4" wide width for most of my bows.  Wider than that is too wide for me, but just my opinion.  Just curious what you all like on your bows.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Favorite width?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 12:53:14 pm »
Always depends on the length of the bow, the style (stiff handle vs bendy handle, etc), and what the wood whispers to you.

Can you narrow (bwaaahahaha) down the options for us?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

cool_98_555

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 01:23:37 pm »
Yea I realize you have to let the wood tell you what to do.  However, I for one have a specific "favorite" width I like my bows to be if everything is good for it.  You want narrower options? haha sure.  Let's say osage....65"-68" long, stiff handle design.  Draw weight 50#+.  Specific enough? haha

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 01:28:09 pm »
Yea I realize you have to let the wood tell you what to do.  However, I for one have a specific "favorite" width I like my bows to be if everything is good for it.  You want narrower options? haha sure.  Let's say osage....65"-68" long, stiff handle design.  Draw weight 50#+.  Specific enough? haha

Inch and a quarter. Maybe an eight less if that is all I have to work with or a stupid knot wanders into the road I am taking.

cool_98_555

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 01:31:01 pm »
What if you have a pristine stave with no knots or anything, so you can pretty much do whatever you want and the wood will support it?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 01:41:55 pm »
Any narrower and you start to court "set". 

And that is doubling your draw length, plus 8" for handle and stiff fades.  i.e. 26" draw would be 26+26+8= 60" nock to nock.

Add a little length if the stave is twisty, knotty, or other "character"

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 01:47:31 pm »
Thicker's quicker :)
About 1 1/4 seem to be where most of my osage bows end up but width is all down to what set is showing at 20 inch or so. From there I decide whether to round the belly, reduce width etc.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 02:41:57 pm »
My favorite width is what ever width of the bow that I'm working &  it's purpose plays a roll how wide a bow would be in my mind  this is my current one intended to be a Target/hunting bow  50 @ 29 In. Sorry for the crappy drawing but easer then explaining all the tappers  &  the bow is 68 in. Long the drawings off by a in.  Most of the time I have to chose width by what Mother Nature gives me in a stave.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016, 03:50:37 pm »
   Mine tend to average about 1 3/8 wide but I honestly seldom measure them for width. I tend to use as little working limb as I can get away with, if I used the entire limb I doubt I would go over 1 1/4".

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2016, 04:53:23 pm »
I've built osage bows from 1" to 1 1/2", all with good results. I guess 1 1/4" to 1 3/8" are the average...but a lot depends on the length and the stave itself.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC