Author Topic: First elk sighting in the county where I live  (Read 5374 times)

Offline Ed Brooks

Re: First elk sighting in the county where I live
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2016, 12:56:25 pm »
It's awesome to hear you guys are getting Elk (back) or just in your areas. I hope you all get that chance to hunt one sometime. They are truly a magnificent animal, and they taste good.
I hope we still have Elk to hunt here in the next 5yrs \ 10yrs, with the hoof rot and now wolves (unofficially) around here. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline looper

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 09:54:31 pm »
I heard a report this morning of an elk sighting in Pickens County SC. just south of where I live. This is a long way from Southern Tenn.

Yeah, he's been stomping around my hunting grounds. I haven't seen him, though. I think he's mainly hanging around one of the golf courses. There's no telling where he's going to end up.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 10:13:56 pm »
Hey Looper, what do the SC game regs say.  >:D   ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JEB

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 10:39:06 pm »
Our herd in Michigan all but disappeared in the late 1800's but the state brought in around 15 elk the early 1900's.  As of today we have around 700 elk.  They have 3 controlled hunts which are done by the lottery draw system.  If properly managed the elk herd can make a come back but it will  take awhile.

Offline Orrum

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2016, 11:03:01 am »
Been out in elk country in the west. When it gets hot you should see what a bunch of elk can do to a golf course pond!!!!    OR a dirt water tank on a ranch!!!   They wallow like a bunch of hogs trying to cool down. THEN drift to the woods and lay around and every once in a while go wallow some more!!!  They r destructive critters!
Knapping....If your hobby does not consume you then you have no hobby.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2016, 02:26:00 pm »
Does it make your arrows itch a little knowing he was wandering around your neck of the woods?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2016, 03:38:22 pm »
John, just to see one here would be a thrill to say the least. If legal, I would attempt to scratch that itchy arrow.   ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2016, 12:00:26 pm »
Well, the DNR captured this young elk and delivered him back to his home range. He was getting too used to people, kids were hand feeding him and he was walking around town like he owned the place. Now he's back where he belongs, safe and sound.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2016, 12:14:22 pm »
That's maybe for the best.  When wildlife becomes habituated to people, bad things happen and the animal pays the iron price every time.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2016, 01:15:18 pm »
Yeah John. I agree he should have been moved. He'll be protected now from processed food, traffic and trigger happy rednecks. He was just doing what any respectable year old male elk should do, move to the next vacant(elk-wise)territory. Unfortunately he's not out west where it's expected and appropriate. Things are a lot tighter here in the east.