Author Topic: First wood in the stove  (Read 1788 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
First wood in the stove
« on: November 19, 2016, 11:44:35 pm »
I've been burning wood for my primary heat source for over 35 years here.Never have I waited this long to burn my first stove load to heat the house.11/19/16.That's a record in my book.Crazy kind of year!!!!!!Makes me skeptical of what's to come to balance things out later this winter.Very dry here too like other parts of the country.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

Re: First wood in the stove
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 09:04:13 am »
It's been the same here Beadman.  I just put the chimney back up on my wood stove in the garage the other day.  I might start a fire in it today.  Thursday night we left the windows open during the night.  That never happens in mid November.  Friday was beautiful weather, sunny and mid 70's.  I was outside from daylight until dark at work and it felt great wearing a T shirt.  Saturday I was wearing 2 layers of clothes, and a hat and gloves.  It was freezing cold and spitting sleet off and on.  I don't know what to expect this winter.  It seems like winter is starting and ending later than it used to.  If it keeps this up we might have snow at the Classic instead of rain. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 09:28:39 am »
I picked a ripe tomato a few days ago from a plant that came back to life with the warm fall, unheard of in the part of N Alabama I live in.

We did have temps down in the 20s this morning and some frost.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 09:54:12 am »
I hear what your saying Ed, it always seems to average out. Seems like we could be in for some really nasty weather. I don't really mind the cold so much if it's not windy. I really like 25 degrees sunny and calm with a little snow. I know that's not real cold but winter would be very tolerable with weather like that.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 09:56:05 am »
I live just down river from Osage Outlaw.... and it was the same here guys....weird fall ..... hot and dry. 
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 12:41:22 pm »
Same here Ed.  Fired up the wood stove in the shop for the first time this morning

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 01:21:34 pm »
We finally got a good hard freeze here last night with temps in the low 20s. My wife's coleus on the front porch finally bit it.  We need moisture. We've had 3/4" of rain in the last 2 months. With most of the leaves down now it is a real fire danger with 70,000 acres burnt in the last few weeks here in the Southeast US.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline willie

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 06:37:38 pm »
built my first fire of the winter two months ago......

neighbors truck has "Alaskans for Global Warming" bumper sticker

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 11:55:03 pm »
I personally think we will get pay back come february and march.Cold and lots of snow.We'll see.It's got to do with that elninio and elninia stuff from the pacific ocean to the southwest affecting my part of the country in the midwest.The temperature of the pacific ocean there.Which one is currently going on there.At least it always has been in the past.Hurricane season is'nt over with yet either but no hurricanes from the gulf.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed