Author Topic: Capote/kapot?  (Read 3735 times)

Offline clewis

Capote/kapot?
« on: December 11, 2016, 08:38:09 pm »
I ordered some surplus wool blankets and was hoping to make a capote/kapot or an anorak type shirt this holiday season. Does anybody have experience making these or have one they can post as an example of a homemade coat or clothing article you've made? Also I have an old great coat or trench coat I picked up from a flee market to use as a template. Ill post pics of the blankets when I get em and my progess, Im expecting them in on Tuesday or Wednesday.
Thanks clewis.

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: Capote/kapot?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 09:11:10 pm »
If you check on crazy crow they have patterns for them.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 09:23:22 pm »
Good choice of a clothing article.Yes it's capote.Handiest piece of clothing there is out there.Use it as a coat/a pillow/or a blanket and more.Patterns from crazy crow will usually accomodate a normal sized wool blanket.Ones made out of a hudson bay blanket are very very nice but expensive though too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 11:52:47 pm »
I was going to mention Crazy Crow also.   Please post pics of the finished capote and through out the build too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 08:54:38 pm »
Too cool 8)
Be watching.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline clewis

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 12:08:03 am »
Ya I looked at crazycrow and pretty inexpensive even with my week dollar, ill try it out if I cant find anything cheaper than free. I'll keep searching for patterns online but im pretty sure there is a pattern in a back issue of back woodsman, just gotta find that issue in the basement. I hope its as warm as it reputed to be, its supposed to hit -34c with the wind tonight and its still early in the season.
Keep you posted.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 05:52:12 am »
I have a Capote made from a Swiss Army blanket ( Gray). The Lady that sewed it for Me put the red stripe with the white cross across the bottom (cross centered in the back). Got the pattern from Crazy Crow - have many options on styles - I chose one with no hood and double material in the shoulders. The warmest thing I own ! You can find the Swiss blankets quite cheap, plus they thick and tight weaved. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 10:52:16 am »
I made one a few years back. As stated before, they are warm. Mine is too warm to wear unless it it really cold. Mine is made from a blanket bought in Canada, and it is a lighter weight blanket. It is at my dads place, I'll see if I can find some time to swing over and take some pictures.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline clewis

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 03:40:34 pm »
Well blankets came in yesterday and must say the american surplus blanket (66/82") was excellent quality however the canadian blanket was a let down. The canadian blanket was'nt as long as advertised the dimensions were 60/72 but was cut short by about 6", quality is good enough though considering it was made in 1958. So I started with that one and tried doing a hooded sweater, looks good so far just need to sew the sleeves on afterwork and hem all the edges. I must say i really like the blanket stitch, easy peasy. Keep you posted.