Author Topic: Flintknapping starter tools  (Read 1669 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Flintknapping starter tools
« on: December 28, 2016, 11:00:03 pm »
I need some info on what tools to get or make to get back to Doing some knapping  It has been many yeas since the last flake fell (met a bunch of flakes in the mean time, though :).  I have several good deer and elk antlers and some modern type mallets.  No rock yet, thought I'd get a few starter tools in place and practice by trying to sharpen the dull flints for my flintlocks.  I'm sure there is a basic text out there somewhere, as well.  Thanks,
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Chippintuff

Re: Flintknapping starter tools
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 01:37:46 am »
If you want to buy a starter set, try one of the dealers. Flintknapping tools.com has some I think. If you don't want to pay that price, look at what they are selling and make a set yourself. Most of the materials are available at the hardware store.

I would suggest two or three sizes of billets/boppers, one or two pressure flakers, a hand pad and a leg pad for starters.

WA

Offline RickB

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 09:57:14 am »
There are many Youtube videos and several free online PDF guides for all facets of flint knapping. This one works for me. Rick B

http://flintknappinginfo.webstarts.com/uploads/Online_Flintknapping_Articles9-30-11.pdf

Offline RandyN

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 01:31:44 pm »
Rick,
Thank you for the PDF file on flintknapping. I am just starting out and will be reading through it later today.
Randy