Author Topic: Flint Ridge Ohio Tomahawk  (Read 3792 times)

Offline Orrum

Flint Ridge Ohio Tomahawk
« on: November 17, 2016, 05:52:53 pm »
Hey yall this is a Flint Ridge Ohio hawk I knapped for a customer. The hawk rough came from Nethers Farm, I dug and cooked it myself. The handle is NC Muscadine Grape. The hawk is laced with natural Whitetail rawhide. The handle is inlaid with blue turquoise ground and mixed in epoxy and poured into the groove. The handle is wrapped with calfhide. The fur is silver fox. The fetish beads are glass and the fetish feathers are fighting chicken red Hatch from a stag that got caught by the neighbors dog. The wrist strap is palm fiber cordage by me. The cordage bead is wood from a Salvation Army belt. The end of the hawk handle has a Kingman mine turquoise cabochon. The handle accumulates the power from.the person holding it and feeds it up the handle thru the turquoise and releases the power out through the turquoise cabochon on the end into a protection for the user. I had a Waccamaw medicine man hold it and align the powers. It's for ceremonial purposes. Hope yall like it, I will deliver it next week.
Knapping....If your hobby does not consume you then you have no hobby.

Offline nclonghunter

Re: Flint Ridge Ohio Tomahawk
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 07:54:25 pm »
I like it very much...A lot of work went into that piece. I understand that obsidian also has a protective quality and would be a good hawk head. I would like to have one from clear quartz. There is an axe head in a museum in Saltville Virginia that is clear quartz.

There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Orrum

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 08:27:56 pm »
Hey Longhunter thanks for the compliment!  I grew up in Saltville. My aunt Kitty Cox was a primary factor in getting the Museum of the Middle Appalachian formed. I have knapped quartz, it's very difficult because it has a direction to it. I don't like quartzsite either. Have you been to the museum in Franklin Nc? It has a lot of black beast rock like you knapp and quartz also!

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 10:28:36 pm »
You do some beautiful work.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 12:17:58 am »
Orrum, I have not been to Franklin but will note it for my trip to see the Joyce Kilmer Trees. There is also a boot store in Galax that is suppose to have a ton of artifacts in the back room. We got several gallons of salt water in Saltville one time and boiled it down for the salt. Had to get permission to get it from the Mayor if I recall correctly.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 06:54:18 am »
 Nice hawk Orrum, lots of nice stuff on that table. Looking forward to seeing more of your work in the near future.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Orrum

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 07:12:41 am »
Hey thanks for the compliments folks but I seriously do break a bunch of stuff!  But that sound of a good flake coming off the rock is addictive!!! Did not know about the boot store artifacTs I will check that out next visit to my daddy!

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 11:53:10 pm »
very nice work all around!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 07:45:15 am »
That's some nice stuff, Bill. Susan really makes some good looking handles, too.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Orrum

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 08:00:29 am »
That's my girl Eddie, she like the Cholla cactus best. I did not make the huge Snyder it was a gift from my mentor. He is like you Eddie, a master of setting up the platform! I am going to get unpacked today and get some pics on here of the tomahawk you helped me with. Thanks agsin!!!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 10:20:35 am »
Looks real nice, Bill.  Thanks again for your generosity and really enjoyed your company the other day.
See you again!

Steve Parnell
1’—>1’

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 10:45:08 am »
I don't know about Master, Bill. I think you just caught me at a good time. You did the whacking.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 04:41:28 pm »
Looks very nice

Offline JEB

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 06:53:21 pm »
OUSTANDING work on the hawk and all the other projects shown. Nethers colors are hard to beat.

I went to the Nethers Farm two years ago and sat with the owner for about an hour on her porch. We chatted away and had a great visit.  Anyone gets to Flintridge this is a must visit which is down the road a few miles.

Offline Orrum

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 06:58:24 pm »
Hey Thanx for the compliments! I am not as good as those pics look.

Yes Mrs Nethers is a treat!!!   I want to go for the knappin there!