Author Topic: Black Powder Project  (Read 6574 times)

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Black Powder Project
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2016, 05:49:45 pm »
In the past, I've shot many squirrels with my 32 cal percussion rifle...it has all iron hardware and everything is browned....an everyday poor mans rifle...made it with a cherry wood stock...it's so much fun shooting, once you get started it's hard to stop.  My problem these days is my eyes focusing on all three points, front and rear sights and the target......
I have a problem putting a scope on a rifle like that.  I've thought about a peep sight, which would be more of the period.  But don't know if it would help.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Stoker

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2016, 06:19:18 pm »
Dbar - I find buckhorn sights work pretty good.. I suffer from the same thing.. I have a peep on my hunting rig works real good..

Mullet - It's almost christmas  ;D ;D
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline bubby

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2016, 06:19:59 pm »
Dbar the peep should help alot
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2016, 06:32:42 pm »
Well I think I'll be looking for a peep that I can attach to the tang of my 32 cal because the squirrels are overrunning the place.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2016, 09:24:01 pm »
I'm with Leroy, I like the buckhorns myself.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2016, 11:11:55 am »
Hey D-Bar!  I have seen a number of ORIGINALS with multiple dovetails in the upper flat of the barrel, all in a row marching down the barrel further and further as the owner's eyesight changed.  Carefully drift your rear sight out of the gun and set it atop the upper flat and slide it down a wee bit at a time until focus returns, then put a mark an inch further (unless you plan on getting Lasik, or you have Ponce de Leon's secret map to that one special spring in Forida).  Either cut your own dovetails or have a gunsmith do it for ya.  Drift in a flat blank in the old dovetail to fill it in.

Not only is is historically correct to reset your rear sight on these guns, but it's the ethical choice if you are hunting with it.  The gun isn't going to get mad at you over minor aesthetics, if you choose to do this!

Couple years ago a buddy had picked up a rough, but serviceable .32 caplock original.  He carried it in his trade goods from one Rendezvous to another.  Last I talked, he still had it for sale and it was getting more reasonably priced.  Maybe I oughta give him  a call?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.