Author Topic: Help with black locust  (Read 1502 times)

Offline Gblank

Help with black locust
« on: December 07, 2016, 10:27:08 am »
I'm new here and have a problem question. I have a couple black locust staves taken from a dead tree.. I removed the bark from one and found that I may have broke through the back just a little in places. This will be my first time trying to chase a ring. I have read up on this some but would like to know this( when chasing a ring and u have knots that you have cut through in the beginning, can u keep going and just go further in and keep the same knots elevated ?) I have made several bows before just for fun but they were all hickory cut in spring. All were shooters and one ( my favorite is a 47 # 54 inch sapling bow that I actually took a doe with) I tend to do things the hard way just to see if I can do them . I am determine to make a,black locust bow but need some let's say simple advice on this ring chasing. Just need the simple explanation. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Help with black locust
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 10:48:57 am »
With black locust, like osage and mulberry, the heartwood is used for bows so you should remove the sapwood and chase a heartwood  ring for the back of the bow. You can use black locust sapwood but you need to start with a healthy tree to be able to do so. Even though black locust is rot resistant it is mostly the heartwood. the sapwood will deteriorate if left unprotected.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 11:07:33 am »
you may like this reading
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,47135.msg643932.html#msg643932

it's about my first BL bow (from a standing dead tree stave) and contains many useful suggestions

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 11:13:37 am »
Once I identify the ring I want for my back, I usually chase a rough ring one or 2 above it.
I reduce the width and start to profile out my bow, then very carefully chase to the ring I want.
All those weird little knots in BL will be raised, so DON'T cut through them.
BL makes an excellent bow when done right, and heat treating does wonders

Offline Gblank

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 01:06:45 pm »
Thanks for the input. So I gather that since I buggered up a couple knots on this stave when removing the bark, that I shouldn't go further. Or can I just go deeper and keep the knots raised from this point on? By the way this tree has no sap wood. Has been dead for some time it is all heart wood

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 01:28:42 pm »
I would go down several rings if you violated some knots. I always leave a inch or so around each pin knot until I get my ring chased then use my pocket knife or small scraper to clean the wood up I left around the knots. BL loves the bellys heated. Good luck!

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 01:34:45 pm »
If you have plenty of thickness your fine just chose a nice ring you like and chase down to that ring keep the knots with in that same ring portable lighting helps a lot with contrasting the heart wood and early growth you might want to get a asortment of scrapers if you dont have them & go slow particularly around the knots I just chased a BL stave over the summer that was thin ringed & did it mostly with scrapers & it went smooth using the above techniques & welcome to PA.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 03:24:18 pm »
I always circle knots and pins with a pencil and leave an island around the knots until the rest of the back is cleared. I then go back and tackle(softly) each knot until I get down to the back ring. I also add a drop or 2 of super glue to all the knots just for insurance.
 When working the knots work from the top down and out so you don't lift a splinter that can dig into the ring below.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gblank

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 03:37:09 pm »
Thanks for the advice. Will get started and see how it goes. I'm not looking for any kind of monster bow. I like my hunting bows in the 50 maybe 55 pound range. I do most all my hunting from the ground near traveled paths.
Thanks
By the way anyone that has any pics of rings and knots under construction would love to see them.
Again thanks

Offline TimBo

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 06:28:41 pm »
This post has some good info and nice closeup photos that might help. 

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,51918.msg702554.html#msg702554

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 11:14:36 pm »
Keep us posted and pics go a long way in getting an educated answer. If we can't see it sometimes it is very difficult to diagnose.