Author Topic: HHB flatbow  (Read 2077 times)

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
Re: HHB flatbow
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 01:37:28 pm »
Your best bow so far, at least in my eyes. The bend looks very good.
But that string, oh boy   ...  looks alot like shoe laces. Probably the reason for your low brace height (stretch).
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 01:50:32 pm »
Real nice bow!   String length would be about 56"?   Re:  OO on strings - I must be doing something right! Figured out string making first, I hope.  Will send a PM
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 05:50:11 pm »
  Fine work.
!

If I admitted how many times I have shortened and retillered, shortened recurved and retillered, shortened again and.....anyway, you'd all laugh.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2017, 08:20:18 pm »
Thank you all kindly once again. I'd never have made it this far without all the honest feedback you've given me thus far.
I make so many bows, it's really time I learned to twist a proper string. Is it possible to buy a decent bow string on a spool or something? ???

"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2017, 09:10:59 pm »
You can get Fast Flight Plus bow string manufactured by Brownell & Company Inc. on eBay and other places on a 1/4 pound roll. You can get it in different colours. You can look up the specs on Brownellarchery.com. That is what I would use.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2017, 09:25:10 pm »
There are a lot of different string materials available.  D97, FF, 452X, all will make a great string.  There are videos on youtube showing how to make a Flemish twist string.  There is also  DVD called Doing The Twist.  Once you figure it out it only takes a few minutes to make a nice bow string. 

If you can make it to the Tennessee Classic you can buy spools of bow string material for a lot cheaper than you can buy it online. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2017, 10:19:21 pm »
Another very nice stick! Like they say, practice makes perfect.

When are you gonna shoot something with one of those?!

mikekeswick

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2017, 04:01:27 am »
Looks good from here :)
But that string! If you can make a bow you can make a string with your eyes closed! It is very easy.