Author Topic: Arrow weights  (Read 5117 times)

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
Arrow weights
« on: March 07, 2008, 01:55:55 am »
Hey guys, I have a quick question.  What do you use to weigh your arrows, a postal scale?  I've just started making my own, with trade points, (hopefully some stone points soon) and I have no idea how much they weigh.  ???

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Arrow weights
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 02:34:38 am »
I have an old triple beam scale but a scale for weighing out powder etc for reloading will give you the weight in grains.   If you can't find a grain scale but have one that measures grams and ounces, there 437.5 grains to the ounce and 28 grams in an ounce. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline John K

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 11:24:36 am »
I have one of the hand held scales, that measure in grains. Works fine for me, it gets close enough.
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 11:40:35 am »
I have an old triple beam scale

Hmm wonder what ya yousta use that for eh  :o ;) ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 03:28:17 pm »
Geeez, math makes my eyes bleed.  Does that all mean that one gram = 15.625 grains.   :-\

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 03:34:49 pm »
3Rivers sells a little handheld grain scale for less than 10 bucks that is fairly accurate. I have one, and it suits my purposes well enough.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 05:23:21 pm »
Geeez, math makes my eyes bleed.  Does that all mean that one gram = 15.625 grains.   :-\

Otoe

That looks close.  Let Google do the math.  Typ in "1 gram in grains" and it returns "1 gram = 15.4323584 grains"
Steve in LV, NV

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 06:02:49 pm »
Weeelllll Doggies, I love to hear that boy cipher   ;D

Otoe

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 11:23:39 pm »
 I use one of the Three river hand held scales also. If you don't shake, it's accurate. Hey Pat, triple beam scales? Hmmm, from the good ol' days? ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 01:20:01 am »
Yup! The good old days. By the way, when did they end? ??? I can't remember. ;D      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 01:42:17 am »
Hey I have a triple beam scale, but I sure wasn't around in Pat's good old days.  ;D I also have a fancy new digital system that will run the powder out automatically.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 01:51:25 am »
Powder? 8)     Pat

jamie

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 09:24:45 am »
if ya search the net ya can pick up a cheap digital that'll do grains and grams for 15 bucks. i finally picked one up

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 12:51:31 pm »
You could probably pick up some really good ones cheap at police auctions. Of course, then they'll follow you home, bug your phone, watch you with binoculars for a few months, and go through all your mail packages of rocks, sticks, and used animal parts.  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.