Author Topic: Stave Heaven  (Read 4324 times)

Offline StumblyRhino

Stave Heaven
« on: October 24, 2016, 01:53:11 pm »
I guess I'm in the very novice stage of bowyering where I have to cut everything I can find to get my wood shed filled up with staves, then wait a year or two for them to dry.

To that end, I put out some feelers, and got hooked up with a gentleman doing a 90 acre prairie restoration.  The property is currently an impenetrable disaster.  It was cut and burned 25-30 years ago, then left to go wild again.  Total mess, but there's just about every Wisconsin bow wood in there, and when I go to cut for him I can take home anything I like for bows or firewood.

I had my eyeballs on everything from Hop Hornbeam to Black walnut and locust yesterday, but I cut and poisoned buckthorn for a few hours per his wishes.

Threw the largest, straightest trunks in the truck, and I'll be going back for more of whatever species until the shed is stuffed or I tip over.

Now the waiting for it to season begins.
Go Badgers!

Offline loon

Re: Stave Heaven
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 01:56:58 pm »
Seems like a very good 'very novice' start..

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 02:05:09 pm »
Buckthorn is some good stuff. Hopefully your stash is good stuff.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 02:32:10 pm »
Nice load of bow wood
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 11:29:16 pm »
Great way to make friends with bowyers!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 06:16:17 am »
Looks like there should be a bow in there somewhere. It's great to have something to play with and you'll figure out what you like and what you don't will make a nice campfire. Good luck Stumbling Rhino it's all a great learning experience. When you shoot your bow for the 1st time your gonna be hooked. Look forward to seeing that bow in the future
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline StumblyRhino

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 11:38:24 pm »
Looks like there should be a bow in there somewhere. It's great to have something to play with and you'll figure out what you like and what you don't will make a nice campfire. Good luck Stumbling Rhino it's all a great learning experience. When you shoot your bow for the 1st time your gonna be hooked. Look forward to seeing that bow in the future
Bjrogg

Thanks, Bjrogg!  I'm looking forward to getting going, too!

In the meantime, the Stave Cave has been packed full.  Just waiting for them to dry.

Shagbark hickory, back locust, ash, mulberry, and one of the biggest dang ironwoods I've ever seen (hophornbeam).

I could barely unload it, and I've got to go back and get the other three 6' logs.

And of course, everyone always wants their buckthorn cut. These were some dandies.

I'll be happy to do some horse trading down in the trading post once all these staves are seasoned. 

Go Badgers!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 07:38:55 am »
That's gonna keep you busy and popular Stumblingrhino. Looks like you made some good connections for finding wood. That is one beautiful HHB there amazing how heavy that stuff is. I harvested one in the bottom of a 25' deep nearly straight up and down ravine last year thought I was gonna tip over before I got that in the pickup. Thanks for sharing
Bjrogg

Offline StumblyRhino

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 09:35:36 am »
50lbs per cubic foot or something like that.  Makes my back hurt just thinking about you digging one out of a ravine.
Go Badgers!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 09:38:14 am »
I knew it was at least 16 oz. to the lb. sure could have used a sky hook that day.lol
Bjrogg

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 11:19:03 am »
Stumblyrhino, I don't know where you are in Wisconsin, but if you are interested in dry wood and anywhere near me, you would be welcome to a dry stave or two.  It is nice to have something to work on while waiting for wood to dry.  I am in Minnesota but just barely.  I live in Wabasha, MN and am about a 2 minute drive from Wisconsin.

I have black locust and ironwood that is dry.   

Offline StumblyRhino

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2016, 03:24:35 pm »
Thanks, man! One of best friends is right down the road from you in Pepin. He bowls in Wabasha.  Unfortunately, I'm all the way across the state, but I'll pm you if I end up over that way ice fishing with him this winter.

I appreciate the offer!
Go Badgers!

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2016, 08:13:40 pm »
What a haul Rhino. Enough there to keep a guy in bows for quite awhile, you'll be glad you stock piled all those staves when they are all seasoned and ready for the fun part. Seems buckthorn and locust just love to take over previously cleared land.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.