Author Topic: Best reactions to a selfbow as a gift?  (Read 5147 times)

Offline Parnell

Re: Best reactions to a selfbow as a gift?
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2017, 01:23:35 pm »
@Bubby - I about spit my coffee out!

Pat B - enjoyed reading that.  Great story.
1’—>1’

Offline Springbuck

Re: Best reactions to a selfbow as a gift?
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2017, 11:38:39 am »
The only tears I've seen were from the mother of a slightly troubled, awkward 13 year old young man down the block, you know, no dad at home, etc. good kid, though, not many friends, I guess, who stopped by and watched me work on a bow once.  He asked so many questions and seemed to take in the process more than most of the hundred other boys that stop by and want a bow or want to make one, but who don't seem really KEEN on archery and bows.  So, I gave him the next decent little bow I finished; a cute little elm, 60", 30 lbs or so, kind of wide willowleaf limb front profile, and a few bamboo arrows.  it was nice.

Also, I once had a falling out with a very good, very old friend.  We stayed friends and in touch, but there was a lot of formality and tension after that.  So, one day I showed up at his house with the bow I had been meaning to get around to making for him for years.  It was one of my better skinny bows, 3/16" white oak back and perfect, almost pin-less ERC belly from the shaded side of an old tree that had been planted too close to a house.  It helped.