Author Topic: Draw length question  (Read 2374 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Draw length question
« on: January 06, 2017, 01:39:30 pm »
This might seem like a silly question but I'm gonna ask it anyway. When you measure the draw length of a bow where do you measure to. Back of the bow to string, or belly side of handle to the string?
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Josh B

Re: Draw length question
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 01:53:19 pm »
Back of the bow to string.  Josh

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 01:59:22 pm »
Thanks Josh I thought I read that somewhere before but it seems like handle depth changes would changs a persons draw length. Guess I've been measuring it wrong at any rate. I can understand why it would be from the back that dose seem like where it should be.

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 02:18:49 pm »
Thanks Josh I thought I read that somewhere before but it seems like handle depth changes would changs a persons draw length. Guess I've been measuring it wrong at any rate. I can understand why it would be from the back that dose seem like where it should be.

Yabut.......for the most part if its a recurve or self bow 1 1/2" handle thickness below the arrow pass or shelf kind of sets a standard.  Or there abouts.   :)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 02:24:55 pm »
Yup thanks 101 I understand now. I can see why it should be the back just was wondering about different handle shapes changing a persons draw length but you are right that seems to be the norm
Bjrogg

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 03:42:15 am »
Your drawlength stays the same ;)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 05:54:01 am »
Thanks Mike, now your not trying to confuse me are you?🤔😏 That was the one reason I thought you might measure from belly side of handle. Theoretically if someone wanted to shoot a longer draw a deeper handle would be like platform shoes for your draw. With 5" heels on I might measure 5'10 but I'd still only really be 5'5"and not very comfortable. That's if I'm understanding this all right. The measured draw of the bow would be like the pants coming to the top of your shoes. It would stay the same. Now my nerdy old fart side is showing but I think I understand. Thanks guys
Bjrogg

Offline 45-70 nut

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 06:28:57 am »
woops. I feel pretty stupid  knowing I have a 29'' draw and tillering all my bows to 30.5''. I've been measuring from the belly side of the handle to nock point.http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/Smileys/default/embarrassed.gif

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 07:31:49 pm »
Is it measured to the back of the bow to prevent you from buying arrows that are too short?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 08:21:41 pm »
if you measure how far you are drawing the arrow from the back of the bow to the string,, your draw may vary with a shallow handle ,, like a flat d bow,,, to a more modern looking handle that is a inch or two deeper,, the thickness of  the deeper handle will make cause the arrow to be drawn further measured from the back to string,, making the draw of that bow longer,, you would still be moving your draw hand the same amount(if you are consistant), but the arrow would need to be longer,, :) for the deep handle bow,,

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 09:07:25 am »
I've always measured from the string to the back of the handle. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 12:59:12 pm »
Is it measured to the back of the bow to prevent you from buying arrows that are too short?

I think you're right :)

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 02:38:20 pm »
so now,, George,, you have a 30 inch draw and never knew it :)