Author Topic: reflex/static re-curve sinew/oak/fiberglass combo!  (Read 4566 times)

Offline aaron

Re: reflex/static re-curve sinew/oak/fiberglass combo!
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2017, 06:37:24 pm »
Hopefully this will be moved to another section soon..
About stiffness- forget about stiffness. Bow building is all about compression and tension. Sinew has no stiffness, yet it is used on the back because it resists tension. The bow's belly is under compression- so use a material that resists compression (wood, horn, FG). Fiberglass is very resistant to compression, while sinew is quite stretchy- therefore if you put on a FG belly, the sinew will stretch way more than the FG compresses (this is what's meant by "overpowering the back).
The reason wood is used between FG laminations is that it's lighter than FG. Whatever material you have in the center of a bow does almost nothing- it's just there to hold the back and belly apart- FG would work for this, but the added mass would slow the bow.
The reason your FG lam doesn't feel stiff is because it's thin. If you could slice it into two strips that are even thinner and then put a wood core between them, it would feel very stiff. Even if this core was made of dry pasta, it would still feel the same.
You ask- "would wood work for the belly? Yes, of course- bows have been made this way for thousands of years.
If you want the best and fastest bow, it doesn't matter if you build it from wood, horn, sinew or FG- it's all about design. The best FG bows outperform wood bows by only a tiny amount.
If I were you, I'd try to laminate a hickory or osage strip to the belly- this will be quite difficult to achieve a good glue line because the bow is mostly built already.
Next time, I recommend using a method and design that has been proven successful. Once you get a few bows under your belt, you can try something radical.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline willie

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2017, 01:53:54 pm »

the term "stiffness" is being used with two different definitions in this thread, and hopefully aarons explanation helps to point out the difference.

The reason your FG lam doesn't feel stiff is because it's thin.

and the same can be reasoned for the bow it's self, and that is why a belly of bamboo may be the best recommendation, it adds thickness faster than the fiberglass would with less weight

I want the the recurves to have extra support as well, so Ill have to heat treat the fiberglass into a new shape, then glue it on. Is this possible/safe? i was planning on using a heat gun  and bending it by hand. can fiberglass be molded with heat?

No, not moldable after the resin has cured, but if you're minds set on fiberglass, a fresh layup with a few strands of roving, set in epoxy or polyester would be possible. However, you should realize that you may not get the performance you seek, as most of the work would still be happening in the sinew......

which ever way you go, the results will be informative at least and the sinew can be salvaged if you choose to use it in a more traditional design.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2017, 04:47:11 pm »
You can get Asiatic buffalo horn from James Parker at Huntworthyproductions. He usually has whole horns or slats for horn bow bellies. James is a sponsor here on PA.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC