Author Topic: Small and short osage bow  (Read 2550 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Small and short osage bow
« on: January 08, 2017, 03:02:53 pm »
Stickbender, couldn't help the title  ;D

This one is also for a friend's son, only this kid is small for his age. Anyway, it's...

35# at 26"
51" ntn
cherry bark backing
padauk overlays and strike shield inlay (first attempt at an inlay)

Not sure how I feel about the tiller, feel free to let me know what you think. It does shoot pretty fast for a small and short bow.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: Small and short osage bow
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 03:03:39 pm »
and some more
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 03:05:25 pm »
Very nice!

Offline RyanY

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 05:20:16 pm »
I like the cherry back! Both limbs look like they have a nice even arc but the lower has more bend than the upper probably indicating that the upper limb is stronger. I'd like to see a full draw with the bow drawn upside down though.

Offline loon

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 05:26:53 pm »
Wow! Looks like a lot of bend out of that one. It looks like the low collapsed wrist grip also affects the bend of the limbs. Looks like a common tiller of Korean bows, where the lower limb bends more. I think this makes the arrow go up more, making it easier to hit the 145m targets? (though the arrow might fly nose down. I think Gao Ying also said, a collapsed or low wrist makes the arrow go further up...). And this is how I like my bows, with a lot of bend and draw length out of a short bow :p though long ones are also fun.

synthetic... just to demonstrate that bend

sinew and horn bow
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 05:30:29 pm by loon »

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 05:42:53 pm »
Thanks for the comments gentleman. The bottom definitely is bending a little more. This is because I left the area thicker around a side knot high up on the upper limb. I cleaned out the knot, plugged w/ osage and wrapped in sinew.

Loon, thanks for the insight into Korean shooting and bowyery. Never knew that!

Nigerian Proverb

Offline MulchMaker

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 10:17:00 pm »
Great little bow. I was  curious what was your brace height?

Stringman

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 10:27:43 pm »
Nice title. ;) that's a lot of bend!

Offline Green Mountain Man

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 10:30:23 pm »
Damn son,,,,you even work? :)
Your one busy bowyer
To ride,shoot straight and speak the truth

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 10:41:03 pm »
Great little bow. I was  curious what was your brace height?

Brace height is a fist and a thumb on this one.

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 07:33:58 pm »
I like the tiller on this one
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 08:12:37 pm »
Nice shorty. It don't take much Osage to make a bow. I have on in works, it's 50 inches ntn. It sit 43#@24" right now.  I'm trying to reach 25" draw and still have a decent weight. These short bows are a little tricky to tiller.  You have a good bend on that one. Great job!
Northern Ute

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 08:23:28 pm »
Thanks Red. I agree that the shorter bows can be tough to tiller. Way less room for mistakes. Good luck w/ yours!

Nigerian Proverb

mikekeswick

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 04:10:41 am »
Yes lower limb is bending too much. You could have taken a fair bit of stress off them by making the handle bend more.
Loon - those bows are out of tiller! Excessive bend in one limb is simply showing that it is under more strain eg. - not in balance. Those lower limbs will take more set and the bow will become unbalanced. Regardless of grip type the mechanics of holding/pulling the string higher than center means that the lower limb must be stronger (slightly) than the upper. It's like putting a fat kid on one end and a skinny kid on the other end of a see-saw. ;)

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 04:45:32 am »
Does that mean the OP's bow would have a better tiller if flipped upside down, then?
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna