Author Topic: Info from My MI. friends ??  (Read 8151 times)

Offline dragvw2180

Re: Info from My MI. friends ??
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 07:53:27 pm »
 I am glad I could help and also I owe you thanks for rekindling those old memories. My whole family hunted together , for me it was not so much the actual killing as much as it was the time we spent camping out together. I remember going out to Saginaw Bay and hunting Carp in the summer and bow hunting for deer in the Fall , all with my uncles . Again thanks for rekindling those memories. Mike McCarthy

Offline jackr6161

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 03:59:40 pm »
I started going to Erno's Archery shop with my dad in the early 70's when it was ran from his house, out of a converted garage turned sales floor.  The shooting lanes were in the backyard.  One thing that has always stuck in my mind was the pop machine near the sales front door.  It had  several varieties of pop that was in the old glass bottles, you knew which one to pull by the cap, and there were three rows on the bottom  with the caps covered.  These were for the special pop the men drank, i.e. beer.  My dad bought my first bow there, a Bear Kodiak recurve I believe.

The business got too big sometime in the middle 7's and they built a shop near Freeland, MI.  By the early 80's the kids starting getting involved and putting their mark on the business.  The line expanded out to darts and knives.  This was at a time I started throwing darts and bought my first good set there.  Erno's then started a traveling dart league, building portable throwing lanes and traveling with them to various venues.  I was working at a restaurant in Midland called  Sullivan's, and we hosted the league once a week during the winter for two years.

I have since moved to the west side of the state and have not had reason to be back to the Freeland area since the late 80's.  It saddens me that one of the icons of my youth is no longer in existence.

Jack Retherford

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 04:42:38 am »
Thanks for the info Jack. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Stoner

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2017, 11:38:29 pm »
I lived in Freeland, MI. and the shop was at the intersection of Freeland Road & Bay Road. I remember the stuffed bear and piles of recurves in a box on the floor. This was when all the craz started for compounds and people traded in there old stickbows. Man....If I only knew the value of that pile on the floor. A fellow I met later in life worked there and teased me with the collection he made from the castaways. John

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2017, 11:46:44 pm »
Is he still alive, John? ot his phone number? ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Stoner

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2017, 10:04:28 am »
I use to have his number and business card. He had a home based archery shop after Erno's closed...I believe on Seven Mile Road. His name was John ???. I moved from there five years ago to AZ. and now am in OK. When I get my shop set up I'll look for the roll-a-dex with my archery contacts. Sorry John