Author Topic: Removing Winter Bark and Cambium with Power Washer  (Read 22465 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: Removing Winter Bark and Cambium with Power Washer
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2017, 07:38:26 pm »
Whoa, how come I never saw the bows on here before? They look awesome. Slickest looking backs on HHB I've ever seen.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2017, 08:54:16 pm »
Thanks Jeff, I updated it awhile back just to let people know that I finished 2 bows from the power washed staves. Yes I would say it was a complete success 😊
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2017, 08:31:39 am »
Sorry alcot and Eddie, didn't see you guys back a page.
alcot that's what I did with the Elm. I removed the thick bark and started to remove cambium but it was to wavy and I would have violated back. Figured nothing ventured nothing gain. The power washer peeled off the cambium so fast I thought I'd try it on my winter HHB.
Thanks Eddie, I don't see any reason it wouldn't work on your walking sticks and the more bad a$$ the washer the better especially if it can heat water. Ours you can bypass water from tip for less pressure but I just turn it all the way up.
Bjrogg

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2017, 01:45:56 pm »
Wow! Learn something new every day!  What psi range are these that you're using?  Thanks to everyone who posted. I have some pronghorn hides waiting for me to find the roundtuit and flesh them.  Got to rehydrate them first, though.  Are you guys stretching the hides first or just weighting them down.  The first thought I had was hides flying all over😀👹😂!  BJ, good idea for stripping staves, etc.  I will be using it when I need to strip bark.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2017, 07:42:23 am »
Decided to give this's one a bump. Hope it helps some more people. I have made a bunch of bows from these staves with zero negative effects. Still not sure about all wood types but I wouldn't be afraid to try any. Might still want to experiment on scrap pieces first.
Bjrogg

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2017, 08:03:25 pm »
Just gotta do it like this

Offline clewis

« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2017, 09:19:53 pm »
I did two more staves today but I pissed off a few people, shoulda snapped a pic of the line up. Note to self dont pressure wash staves on a nice sunny afternoon at the only spray wash in town. bjrogg the staves I washed were cut in August and reduced to a rough board, stored in dry basement over the winter with my dehumidifier on all fall, winter and at present. They were dry enough before pressure wash, so now how long do you think I should wait before working them?

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2017, 09:33:29 pm »
Swamp Thang, that's a great way to prepare a back but it doesn't work on winter harvested staves from around here. The cambium is tight and won't slip.
Clewis, when I did mine with washer it didn't take more than two minutes a stave. They didn't take on much moisture if any. I guess you could monitor weight on them. Mine weren't roughed out either which may or may not make a difference.
Bjrogg

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2017, 10:00:35 pm »
I was only joking just the tree type

Offline clewis

« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2017, 12:22:23 am »
Bjrogg, whats the psi on your washer? Ive been looking online at the smaller washers around 1800-2000 psi but I cant imagine they would work very well. Also Ive already looked around to rent one but no tool rentals here but Im going to try the next town over, see if that helps. The car wash takes a while and is pretty inefficient for the cost but For curiositys sake it turned out pretty good.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2017, 08:07:24 am »
Clewis, I'm not sure what the psi is on this washer. It's probably out of your price range to buy but if you could rent might work out good. It's a commercial power washer with hot water burner. We use it all the time and I can tell you your arm gets sore after using it for several hours from holding the wand. It's a Landa 4-2000. It has electric motor I see some have gas. I know my son bought one a few years back reconditioned for $1900. Another one of those necessary expenses around here. I'm really not sure what's available and what a person could get by with. I know if we didn't have this one for the farm I would be out of luck.
Bjrogg

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2018, 05:04:56 am »
I decided to bump this thread again. Might help some new guys out.
Bjrogg

Offline nsherve

« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2018, 06:59:13 am »
Thanks, Bjrogg...Did you ever try hickory?

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2018, 07:47:39 am »
Nsherve I haven't ever tried it on hickory. It seems to me someone may have replied that they did with good results, but that's just something in this old farts memory. It may or may not have happened. Might try reading through all the replies, it might be in there.
Bjrogg
I've seen absolutely no problems using this method. All the bows are still shooting.

Offline nsherve

« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2018, 08:19:34 am »
I'll go through it again...I may have just missed it