Author Topic: BBQ tiller check  (Read 3790 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: BBQ tiller check
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2017, 08:49:39 pm »
Oh, my, that long? You can get what you want by tillering it to your draw length and then piking the ends. a couple of inches. You'll just lose a little reflex.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2017, 09:15:25 pm »
Ok I could do that. Where does it need to change?

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 05:52:56 am »
I thought about it and I think I will pike this bow a couple inches.  I would like the tiller to be good and would like to hit my draw weight. It's actually 67" tip to tip not ntn. So does it still need to bend more in the middle 3rd of each limb?

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 01:23:39 pm »
Don't over-do the piking.  It's ok to do it a half inch at a time and see what happens..  That last full draw pic looks fine to me.

Look at your design, and the results of your glue-up. Your bow is a R/D and I know you want the drawn profile to reflect that, and I think it does.

BUT. Your deflex was mild off the form, so we can ask that portion to do it's share of bending, and it was.   Your reflex was mild, too, mostly in the middle 50% of each limb.  That portion also must do a lot of the work, too, and it is retaining 1.5" of reflex, SO by the time you get the bow well bend, back to full draw, it's not at all surprising it looks almost flat.

It has to.  What else can bend?  Then your tips are stiff.  If they had a tiny more reflex off the form, the full draw might look better to your eye, but you'd have even more resting reflex and might overstrain the thing somewhere (although you have plenty of length, really). So, I think what you did and how it looks is completely appropriate.  If you pull it far enough,it has to flatten out eventually, and the R/D has done it's job already from brace to F/D.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 01:43:30 pm »
Taking 1" of each end won't hurt and will bring weight up a bit.  Tiller is not bad at all.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2017, 02:07:10 pm »
Thanks Marc! That makes me want to leave it as is. It's about 48# now and when it had been exercised a lot so I don't imagine I will lose much more weight do you? The back and sides sides are all sanded already and the belly is very smooth from scraping

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2017, 02:29:05 pm »
And springbuck

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2017, 04:39:50 pm »
No prob.  I like how Marc can say what I meant in, like 15 words. ;D