Author Topic: hickory branch wood  (Read 4520 times)

schneider554

hickory branch wood
« on: March 09, 2008, 09:52:27 pm »
Hello everyone,
Im new to this forum and new to primitive archery much less bow building.  I have an opportunity to get some hickory branches that are 6"-8" diameter.  Will this work alright for making a bow or does it have to be from the trunk of the tree (which has already been chipped up) Any tips would be great.
Thanks
Brian

Offline chessieboy

Re: hickory branch wood
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 10:09:46 pm »
Wood is wood. As long as its not rotten ,twisted, knotted or the like it'll work fine.

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 12:31:04 am »
Dude,split them,seal the ends with glue,shellac,whatever is handy,strip the bark off,seal it.Right where the bark comes off is the back of your bows.If the wood is green get your splits as close to bow size so it wiil take less time for drying,then youre on your way! In the mean time look for bow wood that is ready to work now,this is an addiction you dont want to wait to start. Auggie
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 12:47:10 am »
With limbs you will have compression, tension and action wood, depending on where in the limb it came from. Top of the limb is the tension wood. Staves split off that side will usually draw into reflex. How much depends on the particular limb. I believe that some of the Western Native Americans would remove a stave from the upper part(top hemisphere) of a limb and the tree would live on.
   Mark the orientation of the stave to the limb and watch them as they dry. You may have to strap some to a 2x4 or 4x4 to prevent too much reflex or a sideways bend.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 09:33:37 am »
The challenge with hickory will be finding a limb that isn't all crooked and knotty. The trunks often grow straight, but the limbs can be a different story.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 09:38:25 am »
Welcome to PA, glad ya joined us.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 09:55:56 pm »
Branches have always made excellent bows for me. Just work them like any other- the only difference being in the warping. Like Pat said- tie it down. Straight bows are tons easier than reflexed, deflexed, warped, or otherwise.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 11:23:15 pm »
Just have to make sure that you plan the Bow around the tension Growth of the Branch....see the picture of a White Cedar Branch I cut...you can see where the Main Branch grew...and all of the Extra Growth it grew to Support the Heavy Branch...the Top of the Picture is the Top of the Branch....see where the Center Pith is???

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

schneider554

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 10:36:18 pm »
Thanks everyone for the information.  The pieces I got are kind of crooked but one of the pieces is good and straight for about 4' before the crook and its not terribly severe.  I think if im careful i can get a good stave out of it.
Thanks again
Brian