Author Topic: Proper brace height  (Read 3495 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Proper brace height
« on: December 26, 2016, 03:09:05 pm »
I'm about to finish up a 70"ntn 100# at 30" osage. I've pulled it to full draw on the tree with temporary side knocks and a brace height of about 6" to the back. I just worked the tips down and glued on some horn overlays. I wasn't going for authentic look with those as much as function. There's even still remnants of the knocks on the sides of the limbs, but I was worried about narrowing the tips any more. I've gotta tweak the tiller a bit as one limb was a bit too strong. And I want to check the tiller any way after sanding and shaping the ends. Since I've gotta tweak it anyway I want to tweak it with an appropriate brace. What would you all suggest?

I'm sure by the time I finih tweaking the bow it will be a bit under 100# and closer to 90-95#. And I'm fine with that. It took about 1.5" of set by the time it reached 18" draw when I tried to push it 150#. So I dropped the weight to 120#. I got to 24" of draw with 1/2" more set and a couple of knota decided to developer crysals. So I dropped the weight to 100# and it finished out to a 30" draw with no more set and the chrysals stayed put. When completely finished I'll get some pictures up.

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Proper brace height
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 06:14:39 pm »
Just use your fist with the thumb sticking up... that's pretty much accepted as how to measure it.
That's 6" for me...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 02:07:46 pm »
Awesome, thanks. I wasn't sure if the brace was treated any different than a flat now or not. Sounds like it's not.

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline markc324

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 07:45:54 pm »
i remember seeing this online somewhere when I was doing research on this topic, but can't remember exactly where...

it says for ELB's the proper brace height is 1/12 of the total length of the bow. for a 72" bow for example, it would be 5.99" (or 6"), and so on.