Author Topic: How to pad the loops of a bowstring?  (Read 3467 times)

cool_98_555

How to pad the loops of a bowstring?
« on: January 27, 2017, 11:22:01 am »
Hello everyone,

I'm making a smaller FF+ string for my bow but I have selfnocks and I don't want the string to cut through the tips.  I'm having trouble finding anything on how to pad the loops or serve the loops.  Is it the same concept as serving the string?  I obviously can't use the whole spool to keep wrapping through the loop, but I could use a long piece of serving string and wrap it like I do with the other serving on the string.  Perhaps it is padded some other way? Any thoughts appreciated.  Thank you

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: How to pad the loops of a bowstring?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 11:23:54 am »
Personally I just blend in artificial sinew strands into the loop as I'm twisting.Some use B-50.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

cool_98_555

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 11:27:13 am »
Ok so you mean put some smaller 6-8" sections of string in the loop area when twisting the main bundles together?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 11:29:10 am »
Yep that's right.I usually go 9" long strands but I'm pretty sure 6" might do it fine.It just has to go on the loops you know.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 11:32:32 am »
It can be a controversy as to whether it is necessary but I do it anyway.
BowEd
Ed

cool_98_555

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 11:33:05 am »
Ok thanks Beadman I appreciate it.  I have a 90# selfbow and I want a 16-strand FF string.  I'm thinking an extra 4-5 strands at the loops should do it.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 11:34:52 am »
If that's FF plus from 3 Rivers that's plenty of strands for sure.You know your string though so suit yourself.
BowEd
Ed

cool_98_555

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 11:37:17 am »
Yep it's FF+ from 3Rivers.  I'm pretty used to Dacron B50, but for my "better bows" I use FF+ and I'm just guessing 16-strands will suit 90#.  You think I could go lower, like 14 without any problem?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 11:38:27 am »
I imagine that's for your 90+ pound osage bow you just made heh???Look forward to seeing it.
BowEd
Ed

cool_98_555

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 11:42:45 am »
Yep that's the one!  Gotta finish her up with some sanding and make her pretty with the TruOil then i'll post it.  Always look forward to putting the finish on a bow.  Makes the wood really pop out at you.  You think 14 would be ok for strands on this bow?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 11:47:08 am »
Yes I think 14 would be ok,but better safe than sorry.The thing is I don't make many 90+ pound bows.....lol.I used 9 strands on 60# bows for years.Fast flight shooters for performance have gone down to 6 strands on 50# bows.The thing with extra strands is that I think it makes the string even stiffer yet.Either way the 16 strands will weigh less than a B-50 string and really I'm all for FF string because of other benefits too.No stretching/Quietness etc.
I'm sure someone will have a contrary but each to their own I say.I've used it for years and years.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 12:03:47 pm »
That's gotta be a beasty of a bow.A flat bow is it?I pulled over an 85 pound compound once long ago for kicks and it was'nt pleasant to me.....lol,but getting fit for it takes time I suppose and still love to see your prodigy posted here.
BowEd
Ed

cool_98_555

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 01:03:12 pm »
Yep it is a flatbow :)  Osage selfbow down to one ring, no backing at all.  I love heavy bows.  Took a long time to develop a consistency with the heavy draw but I love seein' that arrow hit the target that hard.  Unlike other heavy ones i've made, this one is pretty smooth all the way out to 29".  No stack whatsoever.  If I was into hunting, I would like to see what it would do when it hits a deer, haha.

Offline WillS

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 02:12:21 pm »
16?!  I use 12 strands of FF+ for 120lb bows!!

Whatever you end up using (I'd use 10-12 strands) just lay in more short lengths at the loops and centre to bulk them out.

cool_98_555

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 03:53:46 pm »
Wow really?  So 12 can handle 90+ no problem then....