Author Topic: Glass prep?  (Read 1329 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Glass prep?
« on: January 29, 2017, 04:52:19 pm »
Glass seems to be everywhere! :), but what part is best and how does one get it out of the bottle, jar, tv/monitor screen to start working it?  I have not had much experience cutting glass - I do know the glass has to be empty.  I assume once you have a suitable piece, you chip and flake away everything that doesn't look like what you want to make :).  I'm sure this has been asked before, but I haven't seen any posts or instructions.
Hawkdancer

When all else fails - read the directions!

Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: Glass prep?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 04:58:55 pm »
Check out Patrick  Blank (Jack Crafty) u tube video's.

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 11:21:59 pm »
On youtube, search for Knapping+bottle+bottom.

WA

Offline MulchMaker

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 09:11:44 am »
I've seen some put a nail in a beer bottle and shake it and the bottom pops of clean, I never tried it, I bust the sides off with a bopper till I have just the bottom. I guess some people make stuff out of the sided like small knives but I've never bothered the bottom is the best and make the best points. I don't have experience with tvs..yet

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 10:39:49 am »
If you fill the bottle to the neck with water, then hold it by the neck and hit the top with a rubber mallet, the bottom pops right off. I fill a bucket half way with water and hold the bottle in it while I hit. This keeps wthe mess down considerably, confining and damping any glass shards.