Author Topic: Avoiding scorch marks  (Read 1203 times)

Offline justsomedude

Avoiding scorch marks
« on: February 01, 2017, 04:25:46 pm »
Working on my first board bow from red oak 1x2, stiff handle 69" at about 45# @ 28".

It had taken a bit more set than I wanted due to string it too early. Today, I finished smoothing out the humps that were causing uneven bending and decided to wrap it up and put some Linseed Oil and Howards Orange Oil/Beeswax on it.

In the process, I went ahead and clamped it down flat to a board and got out the heat gun to get the Linseed and Wax soaked in and the double purpose of potentially straightening out the limbs a little.

Was trying to go slow as recommended but got some scorch marks. I don't really mind them but in the future would like more control. Any tips? Better lighting would have definitely been a major help and I'll do that in the future.

Offline RyanY

Re: Avoiding scorch marks
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 04:30:40 pm »
Good lighting, low setting, and 3-4" away from the wood.

Offline justsomedude

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 04:46:53 pm »
I got the 3-4" part right :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 04:47:05 pm »
I use oil to prevent scorching when bending and straightening a bow with a heat gun. You must really be cooking it if it is scorching through the linseed oil and wax you are treating the bow with.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline justsomedude

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 04:51:25 pm »
Looking at it now, the places it burned were where the grain was still 'open'. I sanded quite a bit but some spots just didn't want to be smooth

Offline justsomedude

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 06:01:45 pm »
Interesting.....the heat treating with the oil/wax opened up the grain quite a bit. Then I went over it with 400 sandpaper and now it is extremely smooth ( I had already sanded up to 400 before the Linseed Oil).

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 06:18:42 pm »
I have been using a method that was recommended to me for the last couple of bows , I got a infrared thermometer & my heat gun is around 1300 watts & I spray my limbs with spray olive oil and start at the fades 4 in above the limb and after a few minutes start taking a temp reading & when I get to 400 F I hold it there for about minute longer & then move to the next area , it has been working great on osage with minimal scorching  plus it gives me a good solid temper & I let the bow acclamate for 2 weeks after . It works good for me and takes the guess work out.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline justsomedude

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 06:53:26 pm »
Thanks,
I actually have a laser thermometer and will use that next time. With this Oak, the burn happens very quickly.
I needed a method.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 07:12:57 pm »
Also a little some thing I have been doing lately is I wrap my bow in a electric blanket set on high for a couple hours before treating so when I start tempering my wood is at about 135 F  in my mind it helps but can't prove it but made sense with the wood coming up to temp quicker less scorching  but not a necessary step , some times with this bow making craft you just have to get creative & find what works for you, good luck with your treating.
If you fear failure you will never Try !