Author Topic: Short and Simple HHB bow  (Read 5954 times)

Offline Philipp A

Re: Short and Simple HHB bow
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2017, 05:29:02 pm »
hi again, once I zoomed in on your pic of the AHB bow, it looked as if that shows a failure as well. Was that the main area of failure or was it at a different spot?

Cheers

Phil

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2017, 07:41:42 pm »
That was indeed the main area of the failure. I think you're absolutely right about the design contributing to the break. Your bow, which definitely has some major ridges, is a way less stressed design- pretty long if I remember correctly, and bending through the handle.

I think the high stressed design of mine, plus the irregular distribution of tension are both responsible for the ruinous outcome. The reason I ultimately blame the ridges is that at 65" long bow with 1 1/2" of fade and only about 3-4" of non-working recurved tips should have plenty of working limb for a 27" draw. If it were a flat-backed piece of say hard maple, I think it definitely would have survived. Oh well, live and learn. :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline MulchMaker

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2017, 07:21:00 am »
This one broke too?

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2017, 08:30:50 am »
No sir. Both these threads ended up discussing the AH. I'm not sure how.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2017, 10:00:44 am »
to Mulchmaker: sorry that was all my fault that the discussion diverged to the AHB bow that failed. I compared this beautiful short bow with the AHB bow that failed as an illustration that the quality of the stave appears to have made all the difference.

to upstatenybowyer: This little bow is really a thing of beauty! I love the simplicity of the design and find it amazing that you get this high draw weight from it. I think it is one of your best!
It would be awesome if you would be able to chrony the bow. I bet it is blazing fast!

You all have a great weekend of what remains,

Phil

Offline MulchMaker

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2017, 10:35:46 am »
Wow!! Don't do that to me!! I have certain kind of respect for that bow. Lol

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2017, 11:30:23 am »
Thanks guys. Great discussion ya'll have a beautiful Sunday afternoon!

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2017, 11:44:27 am »
Nice looking bow upstate!
I really like the sea grass wrap, it gives the bow character.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2017, 12:33:36 pm »
Thanks Kevin. I get the seagrass from a local craft and hobby store that carries all kinds of cool materials. It's really inexpensive so I'd be happy to send some your way if you'd like. PM me with your info if you want.  :)

Nigerian Proverb