Author Topic: Need experienced input (bow design)  (Read 1402 times)

Offline mxalex229

Need experienced input (bow design)
« on: February 16, 2017, 08:35:53 pm »
I plan on re-trying a failed build. I want to make a South Indian style bow, basically a set back handle with recurved tips. My questions:
1. I want to use Osage with hickory backing, will this design suit these woods?
2. Will a 66" bow take this design for up to a 29" draw?
3. Will static recurves do better than working recurves? I understand that statics act as levers for a better draw.
I plan on shooting for 66" for 45lbs at 29".
Is this unrealistic and/or poor design?

Offline aaron

Re: Need experienced input (bow design)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 08:47:49 pm »
1. why back it at all?
2. sounds a little short: 66 inches minus six for a non-bending handle minus 6 for each recurve leaves 48 inches of working limb- this can safely draw only 24 inches (more with expert tillering or sinew back)
3. working recurves only bend a tiny bit and it's really hard get them to do that without the recurves pulling out. Working recurves would be better if you can manage it.
Can you post a pic of what you are attempting? if you attempt it, you'll want it plenty wide.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 09:18:14 pm »
Seems like you've come to the same place for a second opinion... The design is fine and your materials are up to the task. It's just a matter of executing the build.

Here's a similar bow in a much shorter length.
 http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,22333.msg302411.html#msg302411
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 09:21:36 pm by PatM »

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 12:07:16 pm »
I agree with Aaron on the "why back it." There's no reason to back Osage with hickory if you have faithfully followed a growth ring.
Not to contradict Aaron, but I'd say 66" is plenty long for that draw length even with stiff handle and static recurves. Assuming you have a good stave and proper tiller.

Eric
Eric

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 12:14:17 pm »
I agree with Aaron on the "why back it." There's no reason to back Osage with hickory if you have faithfully followed a growth ring.
Not to contradict Aaron, but I'd say 66" is plenty long for that draw length even with stiff handle and static recurves. Assuming you have a good stave and proper tiller.

Eric

He's using Osage board material I believe.

Offline mxalex229

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 12:52:55 pm »
That is correct, it is board material. No staves until summer for me

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 02:43:57 pm »
I agree with Aaron an experianced bowyer could pull it off but if you have only built a couple bows it is pushing it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline mxalex229

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 05:10:12 pm »
If it can be done it will give it a try. I have always been a sink or swim learner, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't blindly attempting a ridiculous build.