Author Topic: Silver River Knap-In 2017  (Read 3221 times)

Offline Parnell

Silver River Knap-In 2017
« on: February 21, 2017, 10:04:38 am »
We had a good time.  Bonepile was there and some of the other usuals but also got to meet Hank Bak who has been snowbirding down here from S Dakota.  Really enjoyed his company at the event this year.  It was very busy.  Lots of people came into this knap-in as it has been advertised heavily in the community and paper, etc.  They had atlatl/tomahawk/bow shooting for people to try as well as lots of knapping exposure.  The museum at Silver Springs is going to be expanding to become the largest of it's type in the state of FL, is what I was told. 

The archery station for the kids/public to try was insanely busy.  I volunteered an hour on Saturday helping but they need more people to help.  Not an easy task to pull off helping the young ones to learn to hold and shoot a few shots then the next and next and next, etc.  Kinda like being a shopping store Santa Claus.  A huge potential of growth, though, and a real service to the community.  I was there to knap, however.

There were so many public people coming in on Sunday that I found myself getting a little uneasy turning my back on my knapping equipment and rock.  Sticky fingers and all.  I had picked up a $2 poster at the museum and I'm pretty sure someone lifted it.  Aggravating. >:(

Other than that it was really a tremendous time.  Lots of great rock to choose from and the museum is over the top.

They had some of the most famous FL paleolithic points on display this year.  The Newnans blew me away.  UGH!  AMAZING!!!

Some pictures...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 10:54:27 am by Parnell »
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

Re: Silver River Knap-In 2017
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 10:31:08 am »
Made some pics a bit bigger...
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 10:35:00 am »
"BIG RED" was there in all it's glory.  It really does look like candy.  Amazing.

I'm now curious about the back story as to how the current owner acquired these points.  I don't know but it seems there are some hard feelings.
1’—>1’

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 10:42:30 am »
It was good to see everybody and I sure wish I could have made it the whole weekend. "Big Red" is an amazing point. I saw it right after Carlos found it at Harney Flats.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 10:57:53 am »
I had a really nice time this year, Eddie.  Good to see you and the crew.  Hey, do you know what the material is on that center Newnan and those first points?  It has almost like an iridescent gold to it?  Where is that stuff from?
1’—>1’

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 10:02:46 pm »
Steve, I didn't go in the museum when I was there so didn't get a close look at the new stuff. If I had to guess, I'd think it was coral with a river patina.

How did the museum get a hold of the Tatums points, are they on loan?
Lakeland, Florida

Offline hbbows

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 06:49:29 am »
I had a great time and picked up a few tips from the master's.  Thanks for the hospitality Florida.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 10:49:58 am »
Great! Thanks for posting the photos.
The Spring is a really great place for a meet.
Sorry I missed it. I wonder if any of the new
material could have been collected by Ben
Waller? I was busy on the Island.
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 11:05:15 am »
Steve, I didn't go in the museum when I was there so didn't get a close look at the new stuff. If I had to guess, I'd think it was coral with a river patina.

How did the museum get a hold of the Tatums points, are they on loan?

I'm not sure Eddie but they were in the library.  It seemed to me they were there for the event alone, I'd guess on loan.
1’—>1’

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 01:24:35 pm »
Yeah this year they had a real good showing. Sitting by Woody Blackwell and watching him make a Danish dagger was very cool. I made 6 coconut baskets and a bunch of palm roses, but did manage to beat on some rock with the fellas. Good seeing ya Steve
Venice Florida

Offline jcinpc

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 12:55:12 am »
I believe Steve Reas bought Big Red, don't know if he sold it to Ike or not

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 01:24:22 am »
"BIG RED" was there in all it's glory.  It really does look like candy.  Amazing.

I'm now curious about the back story as to how the current owner acquired these points.  I don't know but it seems there are some hard feelings.

What's the measurements on big red? or close?
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 08:21:43 am »

What's the measurements on big red? or close?

Good to see you pop up Vinemaple.  Been awhile.  I'd say about 6-6.5" x 3".  Something like that.  All those points in that case were really soething to see in person.
1’—>1’

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 09:37:30 am »
I wonder if Steve paid anywhere near what Overstreet has it appraised at? The high end was $30,000.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Parnell

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 09:39:56 am »
I look at these points and think to myself that these are Smithsonian Museum quality.  Makes me wonder what their exhibit for paleo points is like in DC and what they'd be willing to pay for points like these.  I do think they should stay in FL, however.
1’—>1’