Author Topic: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, Pictures Please, housekeeping issues  (Read 151947 times)

Offline DuBois

Re: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, progress updates, questions and chat
« Reply #180 on: April 03, 2017, 09:02:56 pm »
What's up Ryan? That baby keepin you up at night?  (A) :P Lookin forward to seeing your yew in progress man.

And yes, I got back in the kitchen!

Well it seems to like steam so far.

Do you guys ever do bendy handle r/d bows? I'm considering it for this if all goes well.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 09:34:45 pm by DuBois »

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #181 on: April 03, 2017, 10:32:02 pm »
Wow that moved a ways. That'll look way better with the other limb matched up! Cheers- Brendan

Offline DuBois

« Reply #182 on: April 03, 2017, 11:56:51 pm »
Yep Brendan, I started with the worst limb first in hopes I could match em up. Gonna let it sit overnight and try the other in am.

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #183 on: April 04, 2017, 09:24:21 am »
Got my profile down, and done some straightening.  69"x 1".
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #184 on: April 08, 2017, 05:48:25 am »
So long story short got tires changed kept two well they threw the tires on my back seat where my bow for the trade was and put a hole in the back question is should I get it close to floor tiller and then fill in the hole and sinew then bring to final tiller?

Offline DuBois

« Reply #185 on: April 08, 2017, 08:14:20 am »
Hard to say. Pics would help. If you can't make it to brace height without sinew then I would question the worthiness of the stave.

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #186 on: April 08, 2017, 02:06:05 pm »
I'll try to get a pic of it but it's pretty small I'll go ahead and work on it should I fill it first or just run with it

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #187 on: April 08, 2017, 07:56:02 pm »
Hey guys I was just wondering, I know we've got 5 months or so to send our bows out, but when it's ready can we send it before that? And if so, when we receive our bow do we post pics right away, or are we waiting 5 months to all post pics together?

Thanks!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #188 on: April 08, 2017, 08:40:44 pm »
Pretty sure we gotta wait til the deadline. Cheers- Brendan

Offline gfugal

« Reply #189 on: April 08, 2017, 08:57:11 pm »
I also have questions about finishing (not that I'm anywhere close to being done). Do we need to make strings and arrows for the bow and ship those out? I wouldn't mind one bit but I know some people prefer stings a certain way and out of certain materials and arrow weights and spined to their liking too.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #190 on: April 09, 2017, 03:16:22 am »
As far as I know we're following the rules from last year, and last years trade went like this:

When you're ready to ship, talk to the boss(that would be Stuckinthemud this year). If he feels your victim is showing enough progress to suspect he'll finish his bow on time, he gives you the green light to ship. This seemed to work fine with only one exception.

We posted pics of the bow we received as soon as it arrived. Some posted pics of their victims bow just prior to shipping, some kept the exact look of the finished bow more of a surprise. 

All the bows last year were shipped with a string, no arrows that I recall but you certain could if you want. Although most at least mentioned what type of arrows the bow seemed to shoot best.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #191 on: April 09, 2017, 03:59:03 am »
That's pretty much spot-on, except to remind everyone that pics MUST be posted before the bow is made all pretty-like (no exceptions, even for the most respected builders) so we can confirm the standard of construction and tiller is up to scratch. Besides, this is meant to be like 21 build-alongs so everyone can learn a ton of stuff and hopefully we will all be posting build pictures regularly.  Decorations and finishes can be kept as secret as you like.  The bow and string are all that are required, if you feel the need to go beyond (bow-sock, carry- case, arrows, whatever) that's entirely up to you ;)

Offline bushboy

« Reply #192 on: April 09, 2017, 07:31:57 am »
Spring is a busy time,gonna get started pretty quick,i have a nice white elm stave picked out.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #193 on: April 10, 2017, 11:35:14 am »
My buddy got a yew permit for me for making him a bow. So we spent the day looking and found the best yew tree I have ever seen. Right at legal
Diameter, we were able to split into sixths, then one of those in half, and got 13 perfect straight usable staves, all 72" long, some with knots that will add some character, others perfectly clean. But somewhere in this pile is my guys bow, I'll start roughing it out this weekend and get'r drying while I start another from a seasoned stave.....just in case it doesn't dry fast enough.

Eric
Eric

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #194 on: April 10, 2017, 11:59:30 am »
Eric, I've never had good luck splitting yew logs off the stump.
Pretty sure they've warped every time. I hope yours turn out better,
not sure if I've ever seen such a clean yew log produce so many split staves.