Author Topic: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, Pictures Please, housekeeping issues  (Read 151358 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, progress updates, questions and chat
« Reply #240 on: April 22, 2017, 11:54:16 am »
I feel like mesquite compliments walnut well. Before I can shoot it in I need to steam out some clamping dints on the limbs. I used some pine blocks to cushion the clamp. But wasn't thinking and the engrain left an impression. So far it's gone 25" and has taken about 3/4" of set. Once I get the marks out ill re sand and see how she's bending on te tree before I shoot it in.

Kyle

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #241 on: April 23, 2017, 11:16:08 am »
I got it ahooting at full drae and cleaned up. All that left is to doll it up and shoot it some more. I've got about 70-100 shots through it right now. It throws an arrow hard enough to make me happy, I had a little thump of you go below a 450gr arrow. It pulls 55# at 27". It does very well with a 600gr arrow. Flat to atleast 15 yards and my buddy standing 5' away could barely hear the bow shoot. Right now it's sitting at 1 1/4" of set immediately after unstringing Thats even on both limbs,  in both amount and location. And pulls back smoothly wiyhout tilting in the hand. So I think I got the tiller pretty decent. I need to get some more walnit staves, I like working with this stuff. Carves easy, very light in the hand and throws an arrow well,  in addition to being a naturally beautiful wood. Except for cedar and cherry, I don't think any other woods that smell as nice when working. Here's a full drae on the tree along with a braced shot. I think I'll let the final finish be a surprise. Oh and the big holes are holding well

Kyle

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #242 on: April 23, 2017, 03:27:56 pm »
Can't wait to see that one all dressed up, those woods really sing with a little oil to bring out the colour!

Offline Red Arrow

« Reply #243 on: April 23, 2017, 06:02:09 pm »
Mo_coon-catcher: after seeing that bow I'm glad I saved those staves from the walnut tree the power company it down in my back yard last month. I'll have a few good staves to work with once they're dry enough. 😀
Runnin' the Ridge
Racin' the Wind

Red Arrow, aka Ron

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #244 on: April 23, 2017, 06:36:00 pm »
That's looking great kyle can't wait to see that one finished. Cheers- Brendan

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #245 on: April 23, 2017, 10:57:43 pm »
I wasn't going to show the decorations, but let the recieved show the finished bow. But I figured I'd show how I did one step of decorating.

Applying snake skin sheds.
These came from a pair of my ball pythons. 2 different color patterns. So each side has a differing pattern. I start with sheds that are intact through the body. And I put the in a plastic tub that I line with a layer of paper towels. I spray the skins and paper towels until they are damp but not wet. Let that sit for about an hour. Once pliable, take a pair of SHARP scissors and cut of the narrow head and the tail so that you have a tube. Then cut up the belly with scissors so they lay flat. I didn't do anything to prep the back except sand it clean. Spread on a layer of glue, I used TB3. Hold the skin on each end and lay it down like a bed sheet. Making sure the skin stays damp and pliable, gently straighten out the skin so there are no major wrinkles and it lined up with ye pattern you want. Keeping them damp with a bowl , use your fingers to squeegee out the excess glue and pull out the little wrinkles. Once it's all spread out, excess glue removed, and wrinkles straitened out. Trim off te excess skin. Then repeat for the other side if you didn't get it all in one go.
You only want ye skin damp, not wet! If it gets wet it gets very delicate, like wet tissue paper. If just damp it's actually pretty tough. Then you just clean up the edges like any other skin. I use a bastard file and sand paper.

Feel free to ask any questions I may have missed.

Kyle

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #246 on: April 23, 2017, 10:58:38 pm »
A few more.

Kyle

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #247 on: April 23, 2017, 11:03:34 pm »
I just realized I didn't follow the curve too well with the pattern on ye one skin. That the hardest part about using sheds, it's hard to see the pattern if your not in good light and the right position.

Kyle

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #248 on: April 23, 2017, 11:29:24 pm »
Reads like good instructions, Kyle. Thanks!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #249 on: April 24, 2017, 07:27:10 am »
Really useful Kyle, thanks!

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #250 on: April 24, 2017, 12:07:48 pm »
And here's how it looks after drying.

Kyle

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #251 on: April 24, 2017, 12:37:53 pm »
Those look amazing

Offline DuBois

« Reply #252 on: April 24, 2017, 08:06:34 pm »
that's looking good Kyle, Way to recycle buddy!
What did you do for the bug holes?
I got a nice 40" walnut 6" around last week debarked and sealed. I had saved the tree at mother in laws from drowning under vines along the property line and then the neighbor cut it off this spring leaving a 5 foot stump. The rest of it was down too long to save I think. Should get 2 sets of perfect billets anyways.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #253 on: April 24, 2017, 08:44:40 pm »
Thanks guys. I havnt done anything to the bug holes except to soak them in super glue and leave those spots a little thicker so they don't bend quite as much as the rest of the limb. They seem to be holding at this point. I'm going to shoot it a bunch more to be sure they don't let go before I send it on its way. So far it's got about 100 shots. I want to get a couple hundred more.

Kyle

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #254 on: April 25, 2017, 12:55:00 pm »
Your guy's a lucky fella Kyle!

I guess with Kyle all done we all are not gonna have much to look at for a little while (hint 😀).You know what Del says, if there's no picture ..... :D  >:D
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 02:59:57 pm by stuckinthemud »