Author Topic: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, Pictures Please, housekeeping issues  (Read 152425 times)

Offline Swamp Thang

Re: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, progress updates, questions and chat
« Reply #435 on: July 08, 2017, 07:56:15 pm »
I'm still here just busy started a new job with Coke and about to have another son in 4 days but I am on it sanding been shooting it have some scales from a gar going to make some small game tips and arrows soon

Offline DuBois

« Reply #436 on: July 09, 2017, 11:41:50 am »
Buckthorn bites the dust.
I'm kinda relieved anyway cause I didn't trust the knot, which is where it gave out. No big explosion, just a tick and folded over slowly.
I like the lilac in the works better by far and it is plan A. Will post pics of it asap.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #437 on: July 09, 2017, 08:30:06 pm »
Sorry to hear about the buckthorn DuBois. That would have been a heck of a bow with that gaping crater in the middle!

Here's the side profile of my victim's yew bow with the hooks steamed in. It's harder to see all 5 curves unbraced then braced, but I'm not gonna brace it for a little while cause I had to fix the string alignment with dry heat so I'm waiting for it to get back to equilibrium MC.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DuBois

« Reply #438 on: July 09, 2017, 10:20:19 pm »
Somebody is gonna love that yew!

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #439 on: July 10, 2017, 04:20:20 am »
what would you do about this - there are 3 of these along the bow, they are where a knot has started to grow over, they go about half way through the bow but do not come through on the back.  The bow is tillered out to full draw, so I am tempted to just drop a little cyano in and leave well alone.

Also, anyone ever seen anything like the v-shape mark to the left? Never come across anything like it but the bow is covered in them

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #440 on: July 14, 2017, 01:10:31 pm »
Too bad about the buckthorn! That yew is looking nice upstate. I have the plum and yew both braced and pulling to 25" . The top limb on the plum is deflexed  at the tip and reflexed at the bottom tip. I think i am going to heat treat it and put a little reflex in the top limb. I have not narrowed the tips on either of them yet. So that should help with the last few inches. Cheers- Brendan
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 10:48:58 pm by penderbender »

Offline DuBois

« Reply #441 on: July 16, 2017, 09:44:45 pm »
Those are both looking real good Brendan! I'd love to have either of em.
Marco

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #442 on: July 17, 2017, 08:05:39 am »
Brendan man, those look sweet! (SH)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DuBois

« Reply #443 on: July 17, 2017, 11:16:18 am »
So here's the lilac and getting close to brace. What you think on the tiller?
I'm seeing the left side needs more off in the inner and the outer parts of limb.
Thanks, Marco

Offline DuBois

« Reply #444 on: July 17, 2017, 11:19:22 am »
Hey Stuck,
Is that the back of  bow in the pics? If so I would think it is ok as long as there's no ring violtions

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #445 on: July 17, 2017, 08:04:09 pm »
Thanks guys! Hey stuck, I'd just put thin ca in those until they wont tske anymore. Maybe left some extra meat around them.
Marco I agree about the left limb. It looks like there is a thin spot just before the trim on the left side of the window/insulation batt. Might just be the light though. Cheers- Brendan

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #446 on: July 18, 2017, 03:18:49 am »
Thanks guys, its the back of the bow (facing the target). This is your one week warning, the incentive draw will be this time next week. Oh, in case you hadn't realised, suddenly we've only got two months left....

Offline DuBois

« Reply #447 on: July 18, 2017, 07:31:46 am »
Just for a refresher, when are we supposed to ship the bows?

Stuck, so the knots there don't come through to the belly? I would just go with it but others may have more knowledge of that wood.
DuBois

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #448 on: July 18, 2017, 08:22:04 am »
Ok, so last year one guy didn't get his bow and I'm determined that won't happen this year. When I' m totally happy EVERYONE has finished tillering (not making it all pretty) I'll send out the addresses and you-all can ship when you're happy you're guy is ready to receive. This way, if at the very last moment someone drops out, I'll still be able to make alternative arrangements.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #449 on: July 19, 2017, 06:37:13 am »
Hi everyone, there's a bunch of us that haven't checked in for a month or more, no names no pack drill. Hope everything is OK. Be nice if we could get a 'hello' before I start sending out some PMs 😁